Hopping Frozen Concentrate OJ to cut the sweetness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I usually have a glass of grapefruit juice with breakfast........ Unfortunately the local grocery store........ one of the most pathetic I've ever done business with.... does not carry grapefruit..... only orange, lemonade, and various crappy fruit punch kinds of things in frozen concentrate.

I bought a can of frozen concentrate orange juice, and find it insufferably sweet....... It of course has no sugar added. Even mixed with 4 cans of cold water instead of 3 it's too sweet for my taste............. A fairly high IBU beer without a high alcohol content makes a decent breakfast drink, but I'd rather not get in the breakfast beer every day habit

I'm proposing using hop tea in the 50 IBU range as the "water" in making orange juice. I'm thinking of initially using the Falconer's Flight blend...... I've got almost half a pound of it, and making my hop tea using Brewer's Friend to work out the hop additions to the boil just like I would with beer........... Perhaps a bit of Summit early on, then the flavor and aroma hops at the tail end, perhaps with a whirlpool / hopstand. The boil would be fairly brief.... perhaps only 15 minutes. The tea would be chilled and used to make orange juice.

Any suggestions on what hops would "set off" orange juice well? I've never heard of anybody doing this sort of thing, but there really is no reason not to that I can see. I'm inclined to try Nugget and Challenger for their spicy character................

I'd like to hear if anybody has tried hopping orange juice as a breakfast drink before....... and what the results were........There truly is nothing new under the sun ;-)

H.W.

I never considered hopping orange juice before, so I'm not much help with that... but interesting none the less.

Why not buy a juicer and make your own... uh... juice? You could use it in lots of other applications too besides breakfast drinks.

Hmmm... I think I'm gonna add a juicer to my giant list of brew gear that I want in the future. It's one piece of equipment I don't think my wife would be pissed about. Hell! I might even be able to buy it for her birthday! Double bonus! Lol!

I never considered hopping orange juice before, so I'm not much help with that... but interesting none the less.

Why not buy a juicer and make your own... uh... juice? You could use it in lots of other applications too besides breakfast drinks.

Hmmm... I think I'm gonna add a juicer to my giant list of brew gear that I want in the future. It's one piece of equipment I don't think my wife would be pissed about. Hell! I might even be able to buy it for her birthday! Double bonus! Lol!

I considered just buying some grapefruit, but produce prices are outrageous at the local store......... I really just need to make the 100 mile round trip to Livingston more often...... I usually don't run out of stuff, but I haven't been able to get away for a bit. The OJ with hops was just a crazy idea I thought might be fun and interesting to try.

H.W.

Back