Hopping a porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertie87

Reaction score
Planning on trying my first hopping and going to make a porter using nugget hops.
I've read that dry hopping is the best for a porter but will this be the best way for nugget?
I really liked the flavours in Chimay Blue and they use nugget, that's why I plan to use these

A porter isn't dryhopped- usually the only hop addition in a porter goes in at 60 minutes, for bittering, as a porter doesn't really have notable hop flavor or aroma.

Yes, you could use nugget for bittering a porter.

Well, let's turn to the BJCP 2015 Guidelines for what a porter is. Since you bring up Nugget hops, I'll assume that you're talking about American Porter (20a). Straight from the guidelines:

Overall Impression: A substantial, malty dark beer with a
complex and flavorful dark malt character.
Aroma: Medium-light to medium-strong dark malt aroma,
often with a lightly burnt character. Optionally may also show
some additional malt character in support (grainy, bready,
toffee-like, caramelly, chocolate, coffee, rich, and/or sweet).
Hop aroma low to high, often with a resiny, earthy, or floral
character. May be dry-hopped. Fruity esters are moderate to
none.
Appearance: Medium brown to very dark brown, often with
ruby- or garnet-like highlights. Can approach black in color.
Clarity may be difficult to discern in such a dark beer, but when
not opaque will be clear (particularly when held up to the
light). Full, tan-colored head with moderately good head
retention.
Flavor: Moderately strong malt flavor usually features a
lightly burnt malt character (and sometimes chocolate and/or
coffee flavors) with a bit of grainy, dark malt dryness in the
finish. Overall flavor may finish from dry to medium-sweet.
May have a sharp character from dark roasted grains, but
should not be overly acrid, burnt or harsh. Medium to high
bitterness, which can be accentuated by the dark malt. Hop
flavor can vary from low to high with a resiny, earthy, or floral
character, and balances the dark malt flavors. The dark malt
and hops should not clash. Dry-hopped versions may have a
resiny flavor. Fruity esters moderate to none.
Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Moderately low to
moderately high carbonation. Stronger versions may have a
slight alcohol warmth. May have a slight astringency from dark
malts, although this character should not be strong.
Comments: Although a rather broad style open to brewer
interpretation. Dark malt intensity and flavor can vary
significantly. May or may not have a strong hop character, and
may or may not have significant fermentation by-products;
thus may seem to have an “American” or “British” character.
History: A stronger, more aggressive version of preprohibition
porters and/or English porters developed in the
modern craft beer era. Historical versions existed, particularly
on the US East Coast, some of which are still being produced
(see the Historical Beer, Pre-Prohibition Porter). This style
describes the modern craft version.
Characteristic Ingredients: May contain several malts,
prominently dark malts, which often include black malt
(chocolate malt is also often used). American hops typically
used for bittering, but US or UK finishing hops can be used; a
clashing citrus quality is generally undesirable. Ale yeast can
either be clean US versions or characterful English varieties.
Style Comparison: More bitter and often stronger with more
dark malt qualities and dryness than English Porters or Pre-
Prohibition Porters. Less strong and assertive than American
Stouts.
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.050 – 1.070
IBUs: 25 – 50 FG: 1.012 – 1.018
SRM: 22 – 40 ABV: 4.8 – 6.5%
Commercial Examples: Anchor Porter, Boulevard Bully!
Porter, Deschutes Black Butte Porter, Founders Porter, Great
Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Smuttynose Robust Porter,
Sierra Nevada Porter
Tags: standard-strength, dark-color, top-fermented, northamerica,
craft-style, porter-family, bitter, roasty, hoppy

To give you an idea of what 25-50 IBUs are, my porter recipe uses .5 oz Centennial @60, .5 oz Fuggles @ 30 and .5oz Mt. Hood at 10. YMMV

Typically, Porters are lightly hopped. That said, if you want to dry hop your porter, go for it.

Oh right, I read it was dry hopped.
Is there a difference between American and British porters?

If I were going to dry hop a porter, I'd probably keep it subdued... maybe Northdown for a hint of mint that I get when I smell it.

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'll try dry hopping first and then at 60 the second time. (If it comes out well enough!)
What about the addition of chocolate?
I've read cocoa powder is easiest but could chocolate be melted into it? Not sure how well it would mix

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'll try dry hopping first and then at 60 the second time. (If it comes out well enough!)
I've read cocoa powder is easiest but could chocolate be melted into it? Not sure how well it would mix

Don't go dumping random chocolate into your beer. Chocolate has fats and dairy in it and the results might not be awesome. You can find cocoa nibs (the fat's been removed) are your local brew shop. Toss that in to secondary.

I think I'll try dry hopping first and then at 60 the second time.

Wait a minute... let's just make sure you're understanding these hop additions.

Dry hopping is adding hops during fermentation, usually after it has nearly completed. It is done for aroma and a bit of flavor. It adds NO bittering at all to the beer.

The 60 minute addition - start of boil - is for bittering the beer. It is essential. You cannot JUST dry hop the beer.

I'm completely new to brewing and my style is IPA/DIPA. But, Penn Brewery makes a chocolate meltdown that is delicious and they use an obscene amount of Betsy Ann chocolate (locale chocolate company). You might get more info on their website.

I'm completely new to brewing and my style is IPA/DIPA. But, Penn Brewery makes a chocolate meltdown that is delicious and they use an obscene amount of Betsy Ann chocolate (locale chocolate company). You might get more info on their website.

A commercial brewery can use regular chocolate because they will likely have the equipment needed to get the fat out of the beer (for instance, chilling it and skimming it off the top). That said, use the nibs that most homebrewers use or you won't have any head on your beer.

Since you are new to brewing, my advice would be to learn to make a damned good porter consistently BEFORE you start going nuts adding random stuff into your fermenter. Learn the science before you start screwing around with the art.

I made a porter over the winter and decided to dry hop. If I recall correctly, I used 1oz of Willamette, but only left it in there for about 4 days before I pulled it. I thought it really added a nice component to the beer and my friends really enjoyed it as well. I would say go for it, just don't over do it. It a lot better situation wishing an added flavor was there than having a flavor you wish you could get rid of.

When I have read about dry hopping there was no mention of doing it in the boil as well. I didn't realise both were done.
I was gonna do some more reading up before starting it. Will leave the chocolate nibs and use them in future brews

Before you start getting fancy, I would take the take to make a technically correct porter. From that, you can add which ever fancy stuff you want to in. For instance, during the Christmas season, I add gingerbread spices to a porter. I've also added things like coffee, raspberries, blue berries, vanilla, bourbon, hot peppers and a few more. The key is to dial in what a porter is, then do the fancy stuff.

Who cares about style guidelines, I have dry hopped a porter before for experimental purposes, it doesn't taste right in my opinion. It's hard to describe but it's the dark malt and the hop aroma together made what I call wet dog hair. Not cool. Good luck experimenting is one of my favorite parts of brewing beer.

Cheers dude. I'm gonna try a few experiment ones of around 8l. Just to get a bit of practice. Luckily I've got a large family to test them out on!

Nibs have all the fat in them. All they are is the roasted and cracked cocoa beans before being ground into chocolate. Unless you get them from a health food section as a snack, often then they are not even roasted and much less flavorful. Best Nibs come from good chocolatiers and not necessarily the brew shop. I like the scharffen berger brand very much for beer or cooking or baking.

When I have read about dry hopping there was no mention of doing it in the boil as well. I didn't realise both were done.

Dry hopping by definition is not done in the boil - rather hops are added directly to the fermenter, usually after primary fermentation is finished. What McKnuckle is pointing out is that whether or not you dry hop a beer you still need the boil addition(s) because dry hop gives you zero bittering. You're not choosing either a 60 min or a dry hop, you do the 60 min addition regardless then decide whether or not to add the dry hop for aroma. It wasn't clear from your post whether you understood that, he was just trying to make sure you didn't have a completely unbittered beer.

Sorry, yeah I understood him. Didn't quite say it quite clearly though now I read it back!
Probably gonna use a fuggle for the boil and try others out in dry hops

Latest posts

Back