Hoppest Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dleonard

Reaction score
I find myself in the position of only being able to lager this time of year, but all I want to make are hoppy beers.
The reality is that I find Stone Ruination about in the middle of where I like a beer to be hop-wise.
I need suggestions for recipes that are lagers, but have that kickin amount of hops.
Is it even possible to have a lager with that amount of hops?
I have a pound of Cascade, Amarillo, Centennial, Chinook, and 2 ounces of Green Bullet. I brew in 5 gallon batches.
Also, I use beersmith if you're really feeling generous.
Thanks in advance!

I assume you're stuck using lager yeast because you don't have a place to ferment that's above 57 degrees?

Hmmm. I would bet that any recipe can use lager yeast, but I've never done it.

Do you have any way to heat it? Cabinet with a temp controller and incandescent bulb? Brew Belt?

Otherwise, I'm sure you could do anything with lager yeast. Just expect less frutiness/esters.

I do have a place to ferment that's above 57, but it's generally above 72....
STMBO likes the house at 72, and I have a split level house, AND due to hardwood floors on the lower level I'm forced to ferment upstairs in the spare bathtube.
I feel so lame even posting this....
Anyway my point is that it's easy to ferment a lager in the keg fridge, thus wanting to lager...

I do have a place to ferment that's above 57, but it's generally above 72....
STMBO likes the house at 72, and I have a split level house, AND due to hardwood floors on the lower level I'm forced to ferment upstairs in the spare bathtube.
I feel so lame even posting this....
Anyway my point is that it's easy to ferment a lager in the keg fridge, thus wanting to lager...

If you can ferment at 48-55 degrees (kinda warm for a keg fridge, though), you can use any recipe you want but use lager yeast. As Edcculus mentioned, you'll just have less yeast character and esters but it should work. Under 48 degrees, though, you won't have much fermentation of anything.

Back