Hopped whisky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bb239605

Reaction score
So I was sitting around at work daydreaming about booze when I thought, some whiskies are all malt, some beers are all malt, why not hop whisky!?

It could be infused in the same manner as gin, but I think for taste test purposes I will try dry hopping some. Recommendations on an all malt whisky would be great.

So, has anyone ever tried this? Do you think it will turn out good? If I do this then hit it with some soda water am I drinking beer?

Sounds interesting. I think it would help balance the sweetness of whiskey. What about adding a hop tea (that's been chilled)? You can get different results by steeping the hops at different temperatures. I think a little would go a long way.

Quite an intriguing idea. They've hopped mead. Can't imagine it turning out undrinkable, the right hops should go nicely.

You could always use a French Press and dry hop as you serve?

Sounds very interesting.

I would be more than happy to sample for you. ;)

I did some Cascade hopka last weekend. It was delicious, tasted just like grapefruit.

I took a 750ml of Kettle One and about a half an ounce of whole hops and steeped them for 24 hours in a mason jar. I found that several people had posted that leaving it longer can lead to grassy flavors not associated with the aroma or flavor of the hop.

I put a coffee filter in a filter and filtered twice back into the bottle.

I only lost about 100ml to absorption and it is so good in tonic water.

Good luck with the whiskey, thought I would share my experience on liquor/hop infusions. (Excited to do Simcoe)

thatjonguy said:
I did some Cascade hopka last weekend. It was delicious, tasted just like grapefruit.

I took a 750ml of Kettle One and about a half an ounce of whole hops and steeped them for 24 hours in a mason jar. I found that several people had posted that leaving it longer can lead to grassy flavors not associated with the aroma or flavor of the hop.

Good luck with the whiskey, thought I would share my experience on liquor/hop infusions. (Excited to do Simcoe)

I think you may have inspired me to try the hopka. Sounds neat

On occasion, I decide I'd like another drink late at night, but figure one more beer will lead to having to get up in the middle of the night. So, I decide a little Irish whiskey would be nice. Not wanting to dirty another glass, I'll pour into into my empty beer glass (except for a few drops and the lacing). Very nice!. I haven't really noticed hoppy notes, but I believe that the protein left over from the beer foam help to make the whiskey even smoother.

So, drink a nice hoppy beer - particularly one with a nice head that leaves good lacing and then pour a good belt of whiskey in and enjoy!

Fasttalker ... I was at Corsair the other day and did the tour. Got to talking to the guy and mentioned I was getting into homebrew. We talked beer, whiskey, women, etc etc. Anyways he said let me show you something. There is another one call "Oatmeal Stout Whiskey" The guy said it will probably make it to the production line. It is AMAZING.

McMenamins, Edgefield in Oregon serves a drink called a Monkey Puzzle. It is a hopped whiskey sweetened with blackberry honey. I have not tried it but the brewery manager told me he loves them. They don't use traditional beer hops, however, but some other type of hop. I think he said a type that is used in tea. Can't remember exactly what he said as I was drinking their Widowmaker Porter (that had be casked in one of their whiskey barrels since Halloween) at the time.

What is going on here, surely someone has dry hopped scotch. I have a 20% peated IPA currently dry hopping with oak chips. I thought about trying to dry hop scotch. I tried dry hopping a Cabernet once (interesting, but not so great). Anyway, I bought a bottle of Ardbeg today, and I'm not an idiot, so before I tried to dry hop it, I figured I'd do a search to see if someone had done this before...apparently not, so I guess I'll be the first one to try. I have 3g of leaf hops in a mesh bag (50% citra, 20% simcoe, 20%, centennial, 10% amarillo). I'm putting it in an 8 oz jar, pouring Ardbeg 10-year in it, and letting it sit for ~3 days. The bottle cost me $46 with tax, so I think I can spare $10-$15 of a good Islay scotch for this. If it sucks, I'll add oak chips for a week. I might just drink a shot and add oak chips for a week anyway, don't see how that could hurt a scotch.

this topic was actually on discussion in a recent interview on the Session with Brendan Moylan..

New Holland Brewing makes a Hopquila. I have not had it, but it's on my list of things to try next time I get to the taproom. Maybe when my hops are ready for harvest I'll infuse something with them. I'm not sure I'd like that combination though.

Homercidal said:
New Holland Brewing makes a Hopquila. I have not had it, but it's on my list of things to try next time I get to the taproom. Maybe when my hops are ready for harvest I'll infuse something with them. I'm not sure I'd like that combination though.

It's ok, definitely different..., kind of tastes like tequila, don't get a whole lot of "hop" flavor. Some, and some grassy notes. I bought a bottle and keep trying it hoping I'll change my mind... But it's ok... Their bourbon beer is a little better fwiw

I also bought Anchor Steam's hopped Vodka (think it was distilled with hops rather than dry hopped), not so impressed. Not bad, but definitely not worth $37 for a 750, hops don't do a whole lot for vodka. I'd heard about the tequila as well. There is a big difference between dry hopping and other ways of infusing hops into spirits, and there is also a big difference between vodka and tequilla and whiskey. There is also a big difference difference between most whiskey and an Islay single malt scotch. So did Brendan Moylan specifically mention dry hopping a scotch? I actually think using hops with a scotch makes more sense that any other spirit because scotch is 100% barley and is a beer at one point.

Don't dry hop scotch, in fact don't dry hop any whiskey, and possibly don't dry hop anything above 25% ABV. I would describe the hop flavor as astringent lemon. I pulled out the hops and put a pinch of oak chips in, hopefully that can save my $12 of good scotch from being almost undrinkable.

Always reminds me of

And yeah, I'd think a citrusy hop would have the best chance of working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back