Fruit Beer Hopped Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mewithstewpid

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan
Yeast Starter
yes!!!
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Orange, citrus, fruit, floral notes
OK, this one may get some looks, but it really is amazing. I gave this to my skeptical, hefeweizen-hating friends and they were blown away. It is a very simple recipe with an absurd amount of hops, which allows the hop flavor and aroma to break through wyeast 3068's presence (trust me, you need a lot of hops). It is basically the "Blood Orange Hefeweizen" brew with a hop-twist. I brewed this as an extract batch, but can easily be converted to all-grain:

Step 1: Prepare Blood Orange Tea

6 large blood oranges (8 if they are on the small side)

1. Boil 1/2 gallon of water and cool to 170.
2. While water is cooling, zest 6 blood oranges (or 8 if you are using the smaller ones)
3. Once they have been zested, cut the oranges in half and place into a muslin bag.
4. Place blood orange zest and halves in the 170deg water. Steep for entire duration or boil (basically just leave it and forget about it!)

Step 2: Wort
(Again, I have only done the extract version!)

Extract:

1. In 5 gallon pot, boil 3.5 gallons of water
2. Add 6lb Bavarian Wheat DME (Briess, 65% wheat, 35% barley)

All Grain (Batch Sparge): (@ 70% efficiency, 1.25qt/lb mash)

1. Heat 12.5qts water to 166deg
2. Add grains:
6lb Wheat Malt
.5lb Flaked Wheat
3.5lb Pilsner Malt
3. Mash @154deg for 60min
4. Batch Sparge with 18qts Water @170deg

Partial Mash: (70% efficiency, 1.25qt/lb)

1. Heat 5qts water to 166deg
2. Add Grain:
2.5lb Wheat Malt
1.5lb Pilsner Malt
3. mash @154 for 60min
4. Sparge with 5qts 170deg water
5. Top up to 3.5 gallons total, bring water to a boil
6. Add 3lb Briess Bavarian Wheat DME

Step 3: Hop Additions
It seems like a lot, but 3068 will mask a lot of the hop goodness, so a fair amount of hopping is required to come through in the finished beer!

1oz Cascade pellets 60min
1oz Cascade pellets 20min
1oz Cascade pellets 10min
1oz Citra pellets 5min
1oz Citra pellets 0min

Dry Hop 2oz Citra Leafs for 10 Days

Step 4: Fermentation and after

1. Cool wort
1a. If extract/partial mash, top up to about 5 gallons in the fermenter.
3. Dump entire blood orange tea into fermenter, oranges and all!!!!
2. Pitch healthy starter of 3068
3. Ferment @ around 65 for 10 days
4. Dry hop directly in the primary fermenter for 10 days
5. Bottle condition with 1cup corn sugar, condition at room temp for 2 weeks

This beer really is fantastic. If is very citrusy, fruity, and floral, a really great summer beer!

Pictures:

here are the blood oranges:
oranges.jpg

Dump the ENTIRE contents of the blood orange tea into the primary fermenter:
oranges in bucket.jpg

Beer (this thing has an AMAZING rocky head that lasts forever!):
weIPA2.jpg

weIPA5.jpg

bloodweIPA 2 5-9.jpg

I really hope you enjoy this one!

Rich

Brewed this again:

Oranges zested and cut:

oranges 2012.jpg

orange tea (no muslin bag this time):

orange tea 2012.jpg

Hops (less the 2oz leafs for dry hopping):

hops 2012.jpg

In the fermenter:

fermenter 2012.jpg

OK, this one may get some looks, but it really is amazing. I gave this to my skeptical, hefeweizen-hating friends and they were blown away. It is a very simple recipe with an absurd amount of hops, which allows the hop flavor and aroma to break through wyeast 3068's presence (trust me, you need a lot of hops). It is basically the "Blood Orange Hefeweizen" brew with a hop-twist. I brewed this as an extract batch, but can easily be converted to all-grain:

Step 1: Prepare Blood Orange Tea

6 large blood oranges (8 if they are on the small side)

1. Boil 1/2 gallon of water and cool to 170.
2. While water is cooling, zest 6 blood oranges (or 8 if you are using the smaller ones)
3. Once they have been zested, cut the oranges in half and place into a muslin bag.
4. Place blood orange zest and halves in the 170deg water. Steep for entire duration or boil (basically just leave it and forget about it!)

Step 2: Wort
(Again, I have only done the extract version!)

Extract:

1. In 5 gallon pot, boil 3.5 gallons of water
2. Add 6lb Bavarian Wheat DME (Briess, 65% wheat, 35% barley)

All Grain (Batch Sparge): (@ 70% efficiency, 1.25qt/lb mash)

1. Heat 12.5qts water to 166deg
2. Add grains:
6lb Wheat Malt
.5lb Flaked Wheat
3.5lb Pilsner Malt
3. Mash @154deg for 60min
4. Batch Sparge with 18qts Water @170deg

Partial Mash: (70% efficiency, 1.25qt/lb)

1. Heat 5qts water to 166deg
2. Add Grain:
2.5lb Wheat Malt
1.5lb Pilsner Malt
3. mash @154 for 60min
4. Sparge with 5qts 170deg water
5. Top up to 3.5 gallons total, bring water to a boil
6. Add 3lb Briess Bavarian Wheat DME

Step 3: Hop Additions
It seems like a lot, but 3068 will mask a lot of the hop goodness, so a fair amount of hopping is required to come through in the finished beer!

1oz Cascade pellets 60min
1oz Cascade pellets 20min
1oz Cascade pellets 10min
1oz Citra pellets 5min
1oz Citra pellets 0min

Dry Hop 2oz Citra Leafs for 10 Days

Step 4: Fermentation and after

1. Cool wort
1a. If extract/partial mash, top up to about 5 gallons in the fermenter.
3. Dump entire blood orange tea into fermenter, oranges and all!!!!
2. Pitch healthy starter of 3068
3. Ferment @ around 65 for 10 days
4. Dry hop directly in the primary fermenter for 10 days
5. Bottle condition with 1cup corn sugar, condition at room temp for 2 weeks

This beer really is fantastic. If is very citrusy, fruity, and floral, a really great summer beer!

This looks good.

Can you explain "zest oranges"- that means grate them, right? How many Oz of orange peel do you want, and when is this added (boil or later?).

Thx.

jIM

This looks good.

Can you explain "zest oranges"- that means grate them, right? How many Oz of orange peel do you want, and when is this added (boil or later?).

Thx.

jIM

I zest them with a cheese grater. I zest 6 oranges, all the way around the orange. Im not sure of how many ounces it is, but in one of the pictures in my second post you can see the oranges in one plate and the total amount of zest i obtained in a plate to the left.

The zest and orange halves are added to the orange "tea" which is steeped then added directly to the primary

This looks great. I love the idea of blood oranges rather than berries. With summer around the corner, I will definitely be brewing this in the coming weeks. Thank you so much for sharing!

I zest them with a cheese grater. I zest 6 oranges, all the way around the orange. Im not sure of how many ounces it is, but in one of the pictures in my second post you can see the oranges in one plate and the total amount of zest i obtained in a plate to the left.

The zest and orange halves are added to the orange "tea" which is steeped then added directly to the primary

I just caught something (please confirm to verify my understanding).

The oranges are used 3 times...

1) grate (zest) the orange peel and create orange tea
2) the actual oranges are included in orange tea
3) The tea is added to the fermenter, and is not part of the boil/wort
4) the actual oranges stay in the fermenter

jIM_Ohio said:
I just caught something (please confirm to verify my understanding).

The oranges are used 3 times...

1) grate (zest) the orange peel and create orange tea
2) the actual oranges are included in orange tea
3) The tea is added to the fermenter, and is not part of the boil/wort
4) the actual oranges stay in the fermenter

Correct!

I actually just brewed an Orange wheat last Sunday using alot of your process as my basis for my recipe.

My batch was AG, and I used harvested Bells yeast from a fresh 6 pack of Oberon.

#4 White wheat
#3 Pils
#1 Gambrinus honey malt
#1 Flaked wheat
#.5 Rice hulls
1oz Citra for 60 1oz Citra last 5
1/3 cup orange zest last 5
Flour slurry added with 15 left in boil
OG=1.047

I used 6 monstrous oranges, zested all of them and juiced them. set aside 1/3 cup of the zest for last 5 addition and stuffed everything (oranges, juice, zest) in muslin bags and pastuerized. I dumped all the juice through the muslin bags with the intention that they'll retain the pulp, i didnt want that in the bottom of my keg. Racked into primary on top of that.

I actually just brewed an Orange wheat last Sunday using alot of your process as my basis for my recipe.

My batch was AG, and I used harvested Bells yeast from a fresh 6 pack of Oberon.

#4 White wheat
#3 Pils
#1 Gambrinus honey malt
#1 Flaked wheat
#.5 Rice hulls
1oz Citra for 60 1oz Citra last 5
1/3 cup orange zest last 5
Flour slurry added with 15 left in boil
OG=1.047

I used 6 monstrous oranges, zested all of them and juiced them. set aside 1/3 cup of the zest for last 5 addition and stuffed everything (oranges, juice, zest) in muslin bags and pastuerized. I dumped all the juice through the muslin bags with the intention that they'll retain the pulp, i didnt want that in the bottom of my keg. Racked into primary on top of that.

looks delicious! citra!!!!!

So I went ahead to brew this receipe about a month ago:

I have been brewing for 3+ years, switched pretty quickly to kegging, and have done mostly extract batches. In general, I have very detail oriented, and can swear my sanitation is on-par (if anything too OCD about it). But it looks like I may have slipped up?

This was bottled about a week ago, and has been in my 65-70degree room carbing. I boiled my priming sugar mixture, and transfered to bottling bucket, filled 12 22ox bottles, and put the rest in a 5gal keg. I just lifted the release valve for a second on the keg, and pleeenty of CO2 is happening in there, so that is good, but man, these alien like globs of who-knows-what has really damppered my spirits.

Certainly this is bacteria? Not some random coagulation of yeast? Inintally, sediment settled to to bottom of these bottles pretty quick, but I couldn't help but notice this, whatever it is, is taking over?

Am I ruined?

photo.jpg

So I went ahead to brew this receipe about a month ago:

I have been brewing for 3+ years, switched pretty quickly to kegging, and have done mostly extract batches. In general, I have very detail oriented, and can swear my sanitation is on-par (if anything too OCD about it). But it looks like I may have slipped up?

This was bottled about a week ago, and has been in my 65-70degree room carbing. I boiled my priming sugar mixture, and transfered to bottling bucket, filled 12 22ox bottles, and put the rest in a 5gal keg. I just lifted the release valve for a second on the keg, and pleeenty of CO2 is happening in there, so that is good, but man, these alien like globs of who-knows-what has really damppered my spirits.

Certainly this is bacteria? Not some random coagulation of yeast? Inintally, sediment settled to to bottom of these bottles pretty quick, but I couldn't help but notice this, whatever it is, is taking over?

Am I ruined?

did that form after you poured half of the bottle? Are you referring to the things sticking on the side, or the "head" that is forming in the bottle?

Clarification:

In the pictures, it looks like you steep the entire orange skin and all.

after zesting all oranges, shouldn't you remove the skins (now devoid of the orange zest like properties) and add just the soft sweet orange

I thought that adding the white to the steep would cause extreme bitterness.

hokieguy95 said:
Clarification: In the pictures, it looks like you steep the entire orange skin and all. after zesting all oranges, shouldn't you remove the skins (now devoid of the orange zest like properties) and add just the soft sweet orange I thought that adding the white to the steep would cause extreme bitterness.

You can do it either way. Steeping the entire thing did not cause extreme bitterness

I really like the sound of this recipe! Definitely added to my list of upcoming brews!

Looking forward to doing this next batch.... Have you tried doing it all grain yet? If so... How'd it turn out? Also I don't see any rice hulls in the recipe? Just an oversight?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looking forward to doing this next batch.... Have you tried doing it all grain yet? If so... How'd it turn out? Also I don't see any rice hulls in the recipe? Just an oversight?

No i havent done this all grain yet. thanks for reminding me tho! I will have to do it for the summer. probably going to use an american ale yeast and change the hop sched to a blend of cascade and citra at 5 min, 0 min, and dry. I havent done 20 or 10 min additions for a while, but thats just me.

and might just do the zest and not worry about making the tea, added during the whirlpool/hop stand.

Also yes, for the love of god add rice hulls. Just an oversight.

So a total of 5 oz. of hops? I am in Woodbridge nj at a brew pub right now called JJ BITTINGS and the brewer and myself were looking at the recipe and we both said... "WOW" to the amount of hops..

So a total of 5 oz. of hops? I am in Woodbridge nj at a brew pub right now called JJ BITTINGS and the brewer and myself were looking at the recipe and we both said... "WOW" to the amount of hops..

well there is 7 if you include the dry hop. It's definitely hoppy, but that's how I like them.

Me too!!!! Thanks.... KLEISSLER BRAU HOUSE will be giving it a shot next Sunday. Thanks for letting me pick your brain...

Me too!!!! Thanks.... KLEISSLER BRAU HOUSE will be giving it a shot next Sunday. Thanks for letting me pick your brain...

cool, good luck, let me know how it goes! FYI One other change I am planning on making is not going over 50% wheat in the grain bill., either 50-50 or 60-40 with two row.

Did you ever end up making this with just adding the cest? Thinking about making this and adding just the cest with 5 minutes left in boil.

Just adding the zest is not going to give much orange flavor, just a burst of citrus. The tea is a great idea and really adds to the character of the beer.

I'm curious, was the O.G. measured before or after adding the "tea"? I would think you'd extract some sugars from the oranges while they steep. Have you considered squeezing the oranges a bit to get more of the juice out?

Back