Hopped American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdbassoon

Reaction score
I've been looking for a wheat beer with more hops. Most of the hoppy "wheat" beers I find are really light on body, I think, to emphasize the hops. I wanted, however, to make a more traditional tasting hefeweizen but with a lot more hops. I haven't been able to try Gumballhead since I live on the West Coast. I decided to use Tettnanger because they go so well with Hefeweizens and Amarillo because they would compliment the Tettnanger while kicking up the IBU's. This is the first recipe I've made up and I don't have the facilities for all-grain so it's extract. The reason I'm calling it an American Wheat is because of the yeast, which is supposed to be cleaner than traditional Hefeweizen yeasts.

Specialty Grains (@ 155 F for 30 min):
8 oz Crystal 15
8 oz Carapils

Malt:
3 lbs Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
3 lbs Briess Bavarian Wheat DME (late addition @ 10 min)

Hops (pellets):
2 oz Tettnanger @ 60 min
.5 oz Amarillo @ 30 min
.5 oz Amarillo @ 10 min

Yeast:
White Labs WLP 320

Brewed 3 gallons and filled up to 5 in the fermenter.

Primary Fermenter for 10 days. Bottle Carb for 3 weeks.

Its been in the bottles a week now and tastes really good (in my opinion). It tastes like a traditional Hefe, but more bitter and hoppy. It's got more banana and clove than I anticipated, but I think that will drop out over the next few weeks. I might try dry hopping next time to get more of the nose feel from the hops as it's not as citrusy (yet) as I thought it would be. Again, this is my first recipe and I've only been brewing for about a year now, so any critiques or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I've noticed that people have been calling these types of beers Wheat IPA's, but that seems like a misnomer to me. Indian Pale Ale is a traditional name for that style, which this is definitely not. I think it should be called Hopped Wheat or Hopped Hefeweizen. I've also tried the Shneider Weiss Hopfen Weissen, but that just tastes like olives to me for some reason.

**Edit**

It's been pointed out to me that the Wheat IPA style is so named because it's brewed like a traditional IPA but with more wheat than normal. For some reason, I was thinking that it was trying to be a Hefe with a lot of hops, but this explanation makes a lot more sense. The beer that I am trying to make is NOT a Wheat IPA, but a Hopped up Hefeweizen.

I don't think that you are going to need any Carapils in this recipe with that much wheat in there, unless you just want the flavor from it. I would also call it an American due to your hop usage.

Well two weeks later and this is all gone. It turned out to be really delicious very drinkable highly hopped beer. The banana and clove flavors dropped out, but it still wasn't as citrusy as I was expecting. The body was still very wheaty and refreshing. I threw the carapils in there because my OG on brewers friend was a little lower than I wanted without it, and I've used it in previous more traditional Hefes and liked the flavor. Next time, I think I might do a more traditional Hefe yeast (I actually thought the flavor was pretty interesting when it had banana and clove in there) and I will definitely be dry hopping to get more aroma from the Amarillo.

Boulevard brewing Company makes a beer called 80 Acre. Not sure if you have tried it or not, but it is a pretty good hoppy wheat beer. If I'm not mistaken, it should be a available on the West Coast. However, it may or may not have the body that you're looking for. You might want to give it a shot anyway if you haven't already. Here are the specs that I found on their website:
Color (EBC)8
Bitterness (IBUs)20
Original Gravity (Plato)13.2
Terminal Gravity (Plato)3.1
Alcohol (ABV)5.5%
CO2 - Bottles2.6 vol. (5.1g/L)
CO2 - Kegs2.45 vol. (4.8 g/L)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah that actually looks more like what I'm going for, but unfortunately there are none within 100 miles of me.

Just found this as I too am looking to brew a hoppy wheat beer. I see your point regarding hoppy wheat beer vs. wheat IPA. I have been leaning towards brewing this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/american-wheat-pale-ale-460169/

Luckily I can get 80 Acre, and like it a lot. I have a feeling the recipe in the link is probably closer to 80 Acre than your recipe. There is no banana or clove hints at all. Actually kind of a lemony taste, probably due to citrusy hops and a clean ale yeast.

So now I'm not sure which direction to go. Is the wheat extract that you are using all wheat or a mixture of wheat and 2 row? The other recipe is AG and uses a 50 / 50 2 row to wheat ratio. I'm looking at purchasing a mash tun soon so I can go AG, but I'm not there today. Just wondering if I take your grain / extract recipe and change the hops up a bit, and go with US-05 yeast. if I would get close to the other recipe. I could also do a BIAB PM, which I did with my last beer, and it worked out well.

I brewed this and tried it the other day. It was very clean and easy to drink however I feel like it needs a little something extra to give it that final zing. I actually dry hopped this with 1oz of Amarillo but I would also add some orange peel next time to try it out. Thoughts?

TxBigHops. I used this from my LHBS: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/briess-dried-malt-extract-bavarian-wheat-3-lb.html
The 80 acre looks much closer to the WPA styles I've seen than the beer I'm going for, so it just comes down to which you want to try. I've been keeping my eyes open, and haven't really seen a commercial or craft beer that has that heavy yeasty wheat body with the jacked up hops, but that's more the style I was going for with this recipe. It's still easy to drink though, but I don't think it's as light as 80 acre. Unfortunately, I'm not experienced with converting AG, but from what I've seen/read you should try subbing it in for the base malts anyways. It's still gonna be delicious delicious beer.

bignick35 I completely agree. That's kind of why I was thinking of using a fruitier yeast next time too as well as dry hopping so I could get more of a banana mango aftertaste. Maybe orange peel would do the trick though. Or maybe drinking it with a lemon/orange slice (which I'm not opposed to, though some consider it blasphemous).

Ive let the beer sit for longer and the body definitely is developing much better. I still think I may throw some orange peel into the boil next time but the body is there and it is so easy to drink

Back