Hoping to find an answer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preciousroy

Reaction score
Hi!

More of an odd question really. I've wanted to learn to make beer and/or root beer "the old way" like my dad (76, from southern IN) would on the farm.

Beyond that, I was recently at an antique store, and happened upon something that I can only assume was used for some type of brewing. I wish I had snapped a picture of it, but they only want $40 for it so I may got grab it regardless.

Here's as best as I can describe it. It's a copper cylinder, about 2' tall, and 1.5' in diameter. Take off the smallish lid that only covers a centered cylinder that's roughly 5" smaller diameter and you see a raised plate on the bottom that has holes drilled through. I'm assuming this is to hold something up, while liquid is below. On the top of the device, there are 2 hose attachments (I'm guessing) that would be into the space between the 2 cylinders, as well as one on the removeable lid. On the front of the whole thing is a small spigot way down a the bottom, with a glass tube that extends up from the neck of the spigot parallel to the cylinder. I believe there was a rubber stopper on the end of the glass, but can't recall.

Obviously that's hard as hell to Google to see what the crap it's for. :) I have no idea what connects where with the 3 tube attachments, or if that's even what goes there. The entire thing is copper throughout, save the spigot parts. The only thing that's making me think this is brewing related is that glass tube on the spigot. I'm guessing that was some way to draw a sample?

Any answer would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Sounds like a mash tun to me! I would LOVE to see some pics of this thing. Where is your dad from? I'm from southern Indiana, around Ferdinand/Jasper. Sounds like you've found something for brewing. Get some pics on here!

Oh yeah, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mug:

Sounds like a mash tun to me! I would LOVE to see some pics of this thing. Where is your dad from? I'm from southern Indiana, around Ferdinand/Jasper. Sounds like you've found something for brewing. Get some pics on here!

Yep. Sounds like a mash tun. A vessel for mashing you cereal grains in hot water to convert the starches into sugar...and then draining off the sugar water (wort) to boil with hops...cool and ferment with brewers yeast.

Hi!

I'm in Tell City myself. The antique store is about 30 minutes from here, so not sure when I'll make a trip back, but if/when I'll get some pictures. I'll Google with "mash tun" as well, and see if I find something. At least it's real words now. :)

Is it similar to this?

DSC_0002.jpg

@Twoheads:

Maybe, but I don't know what all may or may not be missing from it. It' doesn't have anything beyond the main cylinder and a flat lid on top.

Eureka!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Copper-...goryZ568QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's this, without the elevating sleeve this one looks to be in. It also doesn't have the rubber hose or a funnel on the top. Also on the spigot's top is where that glass tube I mentioned is.

So it looks to be a still? Anyone know what type it is? I can't find any other pictures yet, but I'll keep digging.

Thanks all!

Eureka!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Copper-...goryZ568QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's this, without the elevating sleeve this one looks to be in. It also doesn't have the rubber hose or a funnel on the top. Also on the spigot's top is where that glass tube I mentioned is.

So it looks to be a still? Anyone know what type it is? I can't find any other pictures yet, but I'll keep digging.

Thanks all!
I cant help you out on your question but i saw your user name and laughed out loud.

HAHA, Precious Roy! There are still people that know sifl and olly. What a great show.

Each of my cars' names have been precious roy. Im on number 3 right now.

You guys are suckers.

Chris

Back