hopefully a decent coffee porter (my first)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepsouth

Reaction score
i'm going to brew this beer hopefully in the very near future (within the next couple weeks). it's going to be a porter (crossing fingers) and probably/possibly a coffee porter. the idea is to primary it and then pull a glass off when i transfer to secondary and add brewed coffee to it until it's "right" (if i can get there from here) and then add accordingly and bottle after the fourth week.

here is what i'm thinking. i bought all the extra light dme i could find and had to buy a bag of dark to get the gravity to where i wanted it.

6 lbs extra light dme
3 lbs dark dme

steeping grains...
.13 lbs carafa iii
.03 lbs black patent
.03 lbs de-bittered black
.5 lbs crystal 60
.13 lbs biscuit
.19 lbs special roast

(1.01 lbs total grain)

1 oz kent goldings @ 60
1 oz palisades @ 60
1 oz kent goldings @ 30
1 oz kent goldings @ 0
1 oz kent goldings (dry hop, the last week of secondary)

2 packages of safale us-05

estimates....
og 1.082
fg 1.017
color 23 deg. L
45 IBU

this will be my first porter and i really want it to be a coffee porter.

this is where it ended up..... i cold brewed (36 hours) about 5.5 cups of water with about 7 ounces of coarsely crushed super fresh mockhorn island shade tree coffee, bird friendly and whatnot, etc... yield was 32 ounces of pure coffee goodness. total yield was just under 5 gallons after losing over a gallon through the blow-off tube. ran some samples yesterday with the coffee and i have high expectations. the og was 1.082 and it finished at 1.021. 8.2% abv, 32 ibu

hops.....

1 oz. palisades (8.3%a, pellet) @ 60
1 oz. kent goldings (5.5%a, pellet) @ 30
1 oz. kent goldings (5%a, pellet) @ 0

grains.....

.13 lbs carafa iii
.25 lbs black patent
.5 lbs crystal 60
.19 lbs biscuit
.19 lbs special roast
.19 lbs special b
.13 lbs caramunich