Hope I didn't kill my Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWE

All Grain supports the Brain
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can't believe what I just did. I was sanitizing everything and my sanitizing water was probably 145°. That's what comes out of my sink. I threw my Wyeast packet in there just to sanatize the outside and walked off and started doing something else. I came back and the packet was bulging, as expected and rather hot. I pulled it out and threw it in the fridge to cool it down. I'm making a starter which is almost ready.... so I guess I'll see if it's **** or not. Wyeast 1762 is the batch. Damit damit damit. I never do stuff like this.

You might get lucky, but I would say 145 F for any length of time would do excessive damage to them. Good luck!

For future reference, you could have just dunked the packet and then set it on the counter. Things don't need to stay submerged in starsan for it to work. It just needs to have gotten them wet

A spray bottle of StarSan is all you need to sanitize things like this.

Trying to use hot water to sanitize a Wyeast smack pack = bad idea. Go get a new pack. Be sure to make a starter and aerate the wort if using liquid yeast.

I know, both great tips. I couldn't find my spray bottle I normally use, and why didn't I just dip.... who knows. But they made it anyway. Woke up this morning and everything looks good. Whew!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back