Hop usage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer_Ted

Reaction score
Hello all.
My question about hops usage is this; can Amarillo be used as a bittering hop? I am creating a Pale Ale and I don't want it too hoppy. So, my schedule is as follows:

1oz. Amarillo 60min
.5oz cascade 10min
.5oz cascade 5min

I also have 1oz of centennial but again I don't want it too hoppy for my average beer drinking friends.

Thoughts?

There's a name for what you're describing, it's called an Amber Ale.

Any hop can be used for bittering. I'd move your last additions to 5 mins and 1 minute though. The beer will end up with slightly more hop flavor and aroma and slightly less bitter.

I've made an Amarillo Pale Ale before. Came out great. I can't remember the exact recipe off the top of my head but I think it was something like:

8# 2-row
1# Crystal 40
1oz Amarillo @ 60
1oz Amarillo @ 15
1oz Amarillo @ Flameout

I mash at water to grist of 1.5
Mashed for 60 minutes @ 154 with mashout for 15 minutes at 168.

I used the WLP001 for the brew... I think the ABV was ~ 5% and the IBUs were ~ 35(ish). It was a nice color, good head and very drinkable.

There's a name for what you're describing, it's called an Amber Ale.

If the OP is using a high amount of crystal malt then sure, it could fit right in as an Amber Ale with the hops he's using.

If he's using the recipe he posted here and followed the advice to ditch the Cara-Pils then that is definitely not an Amber Ale.

Obviously that is an APA, JonK331

But to the OP's point... Why would you boil the crap out of a scarce and beautifully aromatic hop like Amarillo?

If OP doesn't have any clean bittering hops right now, I would some of the cascade for bittering and combine the rest with the Amarillo for flavoring/aroma and have a more complex hop profile.

My $.02

What if I were to boil .75 oz of centennial for 60 min then boil 1oz Amarillo with 1oz Cascade starting at 10 min and just adding at little at time until flame-out?

What if I were to boil .75 oz of centennial for 60 min then boil 1oz Amarillo with 1oz Cascade starting at 10 min and just adding at little at time until flame-out?

this will give you a less bitter and more complex hop profile like jotothemo suggested. I say go for it

These are all great finishing hops. Makes it tough to put them in your bittering addition. If you could use something clean like magnum in that bittering addition and those 3 in you finishing additions, you'd be gold!

So if i made a beer with 10 lbs of 2 row and a half pound of crystal 15 and hopped it like this:

1oz. Amarillo 60min
.5oz cascade 10min
.5oz cascade 5min

Then you'd call it an Amber? I'm confused.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say: that's not an Amber or an APA - not enough color, flavor, mouthfeel for an Amber and not enough hops for an APA. I see where you were going with that though: you would add more crystal with higher lovibond and cara-pils to that recipe and you would be a lot closer to an Amber. I'll admit, I didn't see his other thread with the grain bill, where someone suggested he lose the cara-pils. All I was trying to say is if you put out a hop schedule for 25 IBUs and say you're trying to make a "less hoppy APA," you are essentially saying you want to make an Amber.

As is shown by the BJCP guidelines someone posted earlier, there is considerable overlap in the styles and the dividing line is the balance between malt and hops. You can achieve it either by reducing your hop schedule to let your malt characteristics come forward or increasing the specialty grains in your grain bill to drown out some of the hop noise and get a sweeter finish and fuller body. It all depends on which side of the spectrum you started out on.

I, for one, make my APAs dark and medium bodied, but with enough hops that you get a distinct bitterness and aroma that is characteristic of the style (e.g. Boulevard Pale Ale is a favorite commercial example of mine). But if I simply scaled back my hops, it would essentially be an Amber recipe, because the sweetness of the Crystal 60 or 80 would come through more. So that's why I disagreed with your statement, because I don't think it's entirely accurate to simply say that the difference between APAs and Ambers is only grain bills. It just sounded to me like the guy was shooting for an Amber, not a Pale Ale.

All of this being said, I do apologize to the OP for not sticking with the question asked. And I agree with the sentiment above that you're doing somewhat of a disservice to a fine aromatic hop by using it as a bittering hop, but there's nothing that says you can't do it. Just keep an eye on IBUs and bitterness ratios using one of the many available recipe calculators online to prevent it from being too bitter. Then you'll just have to experiment with aroma/flavor combos of other hops to find the combination that works for you. Amarillo/Cascade sounds pretty tasty to me.

My only issue here is... there was an assumption to the color and caramel/crystal presence when provided with nothing but a hops schedule.

I am fermenting an APA with ZERO crystal malt right now. If I had OPs hops schedule, it would still be an APA...it could never be an Amber. Why? It is 6 SRM and has no Crystal/Caramel. It has Munich and Victory.

Besides all that....The amarillo-60/cascade-10/cascade-5 hops schedule adds up to 45 IBU (Rager)...Which is top of APA and a bit over Amber.

Sorry guys. I suppose asking about the hop schedule without providing the rest of the recipe is being kind of vague. This is my first attempt a "creating" my own recipe and I wanted to shoot for an APA with slightly less bitterness than normal. Below is the recipe I will be going with. It is an extract using a partial (3 gal.) boil.

5lb Pilsen Light DME
1lb Crystal 10L

1oz Centennial @ 60min
1oz Amarillo and 1oz Cascade dropped in continuously for the final 10 min.

Safale US-05 dry for the yeast.

Beer calculus estimates my IBU @ 32.6

Thanks to everyone for your responses. This forum is an indispensable tool for the homebrewer.

***************DISREGARD. I am an idiot. I read that as LME, not DME**************
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>But you still only come in at 4.3 ABV<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

This is a 2.5Gal or 3Gal batch, total?

Otherwise you are going to be very short on fermentables if you top off to 5Gal.

Yes, this will be a 5Gal. batch after I top off. Relying again on hopville's beer calculus site it has my ABV @ 4.8%. Is there another site that I can go to that will help me with the calculations? (I don't have beersmith yet).

Farmer_Ted said:
Yes, this will be a 5Gal. batch after I top off. Relying again on hopville's beer calculus site it has my ABV @ 4.8%. Is there another site that I can go to that will help me with the calculations? (I don't have beersmith yet).

I am using www.beersmith.com

My only issue here is... there was an assumption to the color and caramel/crystal presence when provided with nothing but a hops schedule.

I am fermenting an APA with ZERO crystal malt right now. If I had OPs hops schedule, it would still be an APA...it could never be an Amber. Why? It is 6 SRM and has no Crystal/Caramel. It has Munich and Victory.

Besides all that....The amarillo-60/cascade-10/cascade-5 hops schedule adds up to 45 IBU (Rager)...Which is top of APA and a bit over Amber.

Definitely true with regard to the assumption on the grain bill - like I implied in my above message, I was substituting a bit of my own tastes for what I assumed he was going for with an APA.

I'm surprised, though, by your IBU calculations. I put that into Beer Calculus and got 25.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say: that's not an Amber or an APA - not enough color, flavor, mouthfeel for an Amber and not enough hops for an APA. I see where you were going with that though: you would add more crystal with higher lovibond and cara-pils to that recipe and you would be a lot closer to an Amber. I'll admit, I didn't see his other thread with the grain bill, where someone suggested he lose the cara-pils. All I was trying to say is if you put out a hop schedule for 25 IBUs and say you're trying to make a "less hoppy APA," you are essentially saying you want to make an Amber.

As is shown by the BJCP guidelines someone posted earlier, there is considerable overlap in the styles and the dividing line is the balance between malt and hops. You can achieve it either by reducing your hop schedule to let your malt characteristics come forward or increasing the specialty grains in your grain bill to drown out some of the hop noise and get a sweeter finish and fuller body. It all depends on which side of the spectrum you started out on.

I, for one, make my APAs dark and medium bodied, but with enough hops that you get a distinct bitterness and aroma that is characteristic of the style (e.g. Boulevard Pale Ale is a favorite commercial example of mine). But if I simply scaled back my hops, it would essentially be an Amber recipe, because the sweetness of the Crystal 60 or 80 would come through more. So that's why I disagreed with your statement, because I don't think it's entirely accurate to simply say that the difference between APAs and Ambers is only grain bills. It just sounded to me like the guy was shooting for an Amber, not a Pale Ale.

All of this being said, I do apologize to the OP for not sticking with the question asked. And I agree with the sentiment above that you're doing somewhat of a disservice to a fine aromatic hop by using it as a bittering hop, but there's nothing that says you can't do it. Just keep an eye on IBUs and bitterness ratios using one of the many available recipe calculators online to prevent it from being too bitter. Then you'll just have to experiment with aroma/flavor combos of other hops to find the combination that works for you. Amarillo/Cascade sounds pretty tasty to me.

Nope

Back