hop temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgraham602

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i just planted a few rhizomes and the weather where i live in NC just got a little chilly at night. Down into the 40s. will that be a problem for first year plants? I'm assuming that they will just stay dormant until the weather starts to warm up more. that being said, should i continue to water them the way you would an actively growing plant?

Into the 40s shouldn't be a problem for them at all. They'll just slow/stop their growth until it warms up again. (I'm getting temps into the low-to-mid 30s at night the last few nights; my new hops will probably be OK as well.)

As to watering, it probably wouldn't hurt them to continue as normal; it probably wouldn't hurt them to hold off until warmer temps, either. Whatever your 'gut instinct'/personal comfort level allows. Hops are surprisingly resilient, and will bounce back from all sorts of 'abuse.'

That's my 2 cents; YMMV. Hope it helps!

--Misha

Back