Hop Tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dycokac

Reaction score
I need to bitter up this Hefe i way under hopped because it tastes way to malty. I remember seeing a post about making hop tea and blending to taste but I can't find it :(

Do i need to boil the hops in some malt, or just water and the hops?

I'll be adding this to about 4.5 gallons in my keg, i thought i saw the suggestion was to add about 1 cup per gallon, and i was planning to use that .5 oz of left over warrior to bring this up.

My origional recipie was .5 of hallertrau leaf plugs (just one plug) at 60 minutes then .5 oz of tettenang at 30 minutes. each where around 4 AAU.

Someone point me to how much i should boil, and if i need to put in some DME for the extraction to work right?

I'd be really interested in seeing your recipe as I only use 3% AA in my HWs and while that are still sweet they can border a nice balance.

I copied this from another thread since I didn't want to re-type it again:

I start with 3/4 gal water and 1 oz of hops (3-4%, at 6-8% you can use less). Boil for 1 hour. A lot of the water will evaporate leaving a concentrated bittering tea.

Add the tea to the brew about a cup at a time. Gently swirl/stir the tea in. Let sit for a few minutes so it can blend. Take a sample. Taste.

Repeat as necessary.

You'll know you are there (or close) when you find yourself wanting to take a second sample without adding more tea. Let it sit a few more minutes to blend better and try another sample so you don't overhop it.

I saved a batch once by adding 3 cups of tea. ;)

Be forewarned though, my house did smell like someone had lit up a doobie. :D

that's exactly the info i remember. I tried searching for hop tea and stuff but didn't find anything :( the forum said your words are too short, too common, or just arn't there :(

My recipe:

7 lbs wheat LME
5 oz caramel wheat
5 oz chocolate wheat

hops:
1 leaf plug (weighed at .5 oz) of hallertrau at 60 minutes
.5 oz of tettenag at 30 minutes

I then fermented with a heating pad on till the krausen fell (I wanted the banana esters over the clove esters).

And to me it just tastes over malty, but not that good malty that you get from fat tire :(

I've been toying around with these ingredients for my last 3 batches. what i did different malt wise this time was 1 oz each of the specialty grains, and then backed way off on the hops. The first couple times i was doing 1 oz of centennial at 60 minutes, then 1 oz of tettenag at 30, and another blast of centennial at 10 minutes. All hops were peletized and my centennial was 12% AAU, and the tettenang was still 4%

I'm guessing if i just used the full ounce of each with this last batch, it would have turned out better, or it was still an issue with using the leaf plug hallertrau instead of a pelletized (LHBS was out of peletized)

Back