Hop substitute for Columbus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proudfoot

Reaction score
Hey!

I am looking for substitute for Columbus hop. I am aware of few substitute charts but am not sure what hop would be best for aroma/flavor additions and partner with Cascade for pale ale. I have for example Magnum, Northern Brewer, Citra and Nugget. I am thinking about Nugget but not sure if it's good for aroma.

Can you get Tomahawk or Zeus hops? Those are different names for the same hop. Some just call it CTZ for Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus.

Thanks for quick replies. Cannot get Tomahawk etc. at the moment. So Magnum would work? As an aroma hop? I would use it on 10 and 0 minute additions with Cascade. I am using Magnum anyway for bittering...

Magnum is not very good as an aroma hop. Nugget might be a good choice. It doesn't taste much like columbus but it is nice. Very herbal.

Yep, sorry, misread the thread. Thought you meant as a bittering hop. Seconded, Magnum's not so good for aroma.

Columbus isn't a great aroma/flavor hop, it's mainly used for bittering and has earthy undertones which won't complement the Cascade well, I find.

Centennial and Chinook are good substitutes... The first being floral the latter being piney. Agreed that Nugget varieties would be best if you could get your hands on them.

Columbus isn't a great aroma/flavor hop, it's mainly used for bittering and has earthy undertones which won't complement the Cascade well, I find.
The "I find" is key here. Columbus is considered a bittering hop because of its high alpha acid content, but a lot of people (myself included) find it makes a great dual purpose hop.

TopgunTango, you must not like Centennial, because the general rule is a 30% to 70% mixture of Columbus and Cascade as a Centennial substitute.

As for the Columbus subtitute, Nugget is another dual purpose hop and a good choice.

Thanks again. I think I will go with Nugget. If I don't like it..well then I know. :) I am familiar with Centennial/Cascade combo and I'm happy with it. I would like to try something a bit different but still something that would be considered American style (They're so damn expensive here so have to do it myself)

Just remembered that I have a bag of Pacific Jade too and am tempted to try it out, since I usually like NZ varieties alot. Maybe I'll do SH though..

The "I find" is key here. Columbus is considered a bittering hop because of its high alpha acid content, but a lot of people (myself included) find it makes a great dual purpose hop.

TopgunTango, you must not like Centennial, because the general rule is a 30% to 70% mixture of Columbus and Cascade as a Centennial substitute.

As for the Columbus subtitute, Nugget is another dual purpose hop and a good choice.

Which is why I said "I find." It's a personal taste. I simply do not enjoy the earthy, spicy undertones of Columbus as a predominant flavor or aroma, and it is only natural that my response will reflect my preference. :)

I enjoy Centennial hops (I enjoy most floral, citrusy hops), and I am aware of the mixture you speak of. It does work well in the proportions you have described, but at this point in time we have no idea of the ones the OP is using in his recipe, or if the point of his pairing is to have his hop profile mimic that of a Centennial variety.

Just remembered that I have a bag of Pacific Jade too and am tempted to try it out, since I usually like NZ varieties alot. Maybe I'll do SH though..

Pacific Jade is a fantastic hop. I made a great hopbursted IPA with Pacific Jade, Pacifica, and Galaxy.

Back