Hop Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbeauchamp

Reaction score
I would like to start buying hops in bulk. Not huge amounts but a pound or two at a time. How do you all store your bulk hops after you have opened the package? I can store them in the freezer or fridge but the wife does not want all the food smelling/tasting like hops.

Any Suggestions?

I vacuum seal with a seal-a-meal that I got at Target for $30 or $40, and put it in the freezer. Many people on here use a FoodSaver, but they are more expensive even with a discount, and my seal-a-meal has worked great for me so far.

Mult threads already, but I use a foodsaver with mason jars. There is an attachment for both regular and widemouth mason jars that allows use and re-use indefinitely. Cheaper than disposable bags for sure.

I Close the Bag and Zip tie it, then I put it in the freezer. Hops never last more then a year in my house. I think the whole Food Saver routine is a bit overboard.

I use a food saver and have had 3 year old hops in there still smelling good with Citrus notes. I really think it is the only way to go if stored in a home freezer.

I Close the Bag and Zip tie it, then I put it in the freezer. Hops never last more then a year in my house. I think the whole Food Saver routine is a bit overboard.

IMO if your hops are routinely gone in 12 months or less, than your method will work fine. I went a bit overboard and I have nine or ten pounds in my freezer and it will take a few years to use it all. I think the foodsaver will help, but I've only been doing it for about 6 months, so I can't back that up with any personal experience.

I have mine in sealed bages that are then crammed tightly into an air tight plastic container in a chest freezer...maybe about 3-4 lbs so they do not see much more than a year in storage before being used. No problems with other food smelling like hops.

i just toss mine in zip lock bags, manually suck out all the air i can get out as i seal the bag, and toss it in the freezer. I'm sure my AA levels drop a little over time, but after 5 or 6 months they're gonna drop anyway, right?

The way i see it i can't loose buying hops in bulk. I pay $8-14 per pound from hops direct or 2.99+ from the lhbs or online retailsers by the oz. even if i only use 3 oz of each hop, i have effectively still broken even.... it also leaves good options for impromptu brew days!

Hey, just bought 4 separate pounds of hops for the first time for hops direct, if you don't separate them right when you get them (16 ziplock backs) how do you know how much an ounce is? do you guys use a small scale or some other method? (so I don't need a scale)

Thanks

Hey, just bought 4 separate pounds of hops for the first time for hops direct, if you don't separate them right when you get them (16 ziplock backs) how do you know how much an ounce is? do you guys use a small scale or some other method? (so I don't need a scale)

Thanks

Buy a scale. Something like this on ebay. It comes with a cover that doubles as a tray to hold the hops. You really need one, whether you buy hops in bulk or not.

Maybe not the answer you want, but the right one IMO.

I use quart mason jars (they hold 1 pound perfectly) and suck the air out with a Pump-N-Seal. Then I pop them in the freezer. Works like a charm.

Thanks

IME, when you buy from hops direct, there will be 17-18 ounces in a package labeled as a pound, so splitting into 16 bags will net you more than 1 ounce in each. You need a scale.

How long can the silver air tight hopsdirect bags last unopened? Do I need to freeze them or do I only need to do that after I open them?

Back