Hop Stand Rule of Thumb IBU Estimate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In_Vino_Veritas

Reaction score
Working on a Wookey Jack clone recipe, which I think I’ll do a 30 min hop stand for. How are you guys estimating your IBUs doing a hop stand? Since FW lists Wookey at 80 IBU, I’m going to target close to that (perhaps drop Magnum to 1oz). Here is my hop bill and BeerSmith numbers:

1.25oz Magnum @ 60mins (41.9 IBU)
1oz Amarillo @ 25mins (14.1 IBU)
1oz Citra @ 25mins (20.0 IBU)
2oz Amarillo @ 0mins (0.0 IBU)
2oz Citra @ 0mins (0.0 IBU)
30 min hop stand with above contents (? IBU)
2oz Amarillo @ 5days dry hop (0.0 IBU)
2oz Citra @ 5days dry hop (0.0 IBU)

Total IBU: 76.0
Desired IBU: 80

OG Target (80% brewhouse efficiency): 1.086

It seems like there's not a good model for this. I don't have hopes of a firm number, just a ballpark. I'll brew it, see if I like it and brew it again with changes as I see fit.

Thanks!

Whirlpool is not going to give you much bitterness but a ton of flavor and aroma.
Firestone uses a 90min boil on all of there IPAs also.

What i would do is:
1oz Magnum @90 37IBU
1oz Amarillo @20 12IBU
1oz Citra@20 17IBU
3oz Citra Flameout/Whirlpool ~4IBU
3oz Amarillo Flameout/Whirlpool ~3IBU

Then another oz of each in the dryhop for 4days removed and another oz of each for 4days, remove and crash cool.

Think im going to brew this monday. Ill let you know how it goes!

I think the temperature of the hop stand is going to be the biggest determining factor of how many ibus you're going to add. Cooler = less; hotter = more.

you can calculate it as a 5 min boil, that will get you in the ballpark. That is, if you're adding at knockout. If you chill to say 150, it's not going to add any bitterness.

Whirlpool is not going to give you much bitterness but a ton of flavor and aroma.
Firestone uses a 90min boil on all of there IPAs also.

What i would do is:
1oz Magnum @90 37IBU
1oz Amarillo @20 12IBU
1oz Citra@20 17IBU
3oz Citra Flameout/Whirlpool ~4IBU
3oz Amarillo Flameout/Whirlpool ~3IBU

Then another oz of each in the dryhop for 4days removed and another oz of each for 4days, remove and crash cool.

Think im going to brew this monday. Ill let you know how it goes!

If you brew Monday, I'll certainly be looking forward to your feedback.

Latest posts

Back