Hop Spiders...ETC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
Greetings. I have a new Blichmann 10G kettle replacing an older 10G no frills, no valves straight up aluminum kettle. I used to pour my boiled/cooled wort in the fermenter lined with a 5G paint strainer bag catching trub. I use pellet hops.

Getting a bit more fancy now with a drain valve, I am looking at options to keep the hops contained. Hop Rocket? SS mesh hop basket? Wilser hop bags w/spider?

I have Wilser mesh hop bags on hand so that is a head start. I'd need to make or buy a spider to suspend in center of kettle. What is my best equipment bet to keep the wort clean going to the FV?

Secondly, is containing the hops in a bag or strainer the most effective way to get the most from my hops? I can't help but think free floating addition is the best for this. Maybe I'm wrong?

Just looking for ideas, suggestions which are appreciated.

I have used hop spider and just a hop bag hanging on the side of my boilermaker and other kettles. While I thought I'd like the hop spider best, turns out I've settled on the Blichmann hop blocker with hops just free floating in the boil. It actually works pretty well. I'm sure it could be more clear wort coming out of the kettle, but it hasn't clogged my plate chiller and always settles out.

I'm going through a similar upgrade process and went with the kettle spider from More Beer for $36. Be sure to add the $2 keg o-ring. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but looks worth the extra $15 over building my own. Pics shown on top of a Spike 10 gallon kettle View attachment 360336

Excellent suggestion. I saw your post and have one on order now. Keg lid O ring is certainly the way to go. I now have three kettles...10G, 15G and 20G, and based on the measurements, this spider works on all three. Already got multiple O Rings and the Wilser hop bags so I am good to go.

BTW...my wife always fusses that I save old screws, washers even used O rigs from kegs, ball locks, etc. Well, those used keg lid O Rings now have been repurposed! That will show her that my frugal (she calls it pack rat) nature is a good thing!

Thanks for the great suggestion.

Back