Hop Spider and late hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadie

Reaction score
I have a large hop spider in my BK that we've used for several batches without issue. I love not having to worry about hop debris in the filter/chiller now as our filter used to clog all the time before the hop spider.

Having said that however, we brewed an IPA yesterday where we added 9 oz of hops late (from 5 minutes to whirlpool) in a 5 gallon batch and when we pulled the hop spider for cleaning a lot of these late addition pellets were still intact and had never dissolved. We whirlpooled for 20 minutes starting at 180 F. using a chugger pump connected to the tangential inlet of the BK but it appears that not much force is applied this way as the hops are just resting in the center of the kettle inside the hop spider.

As we have never had such a large addition so late is what we experienced normal? Do the pellets need to dissolve to get the proper hop utilization? Should we have whirlpooled longer or started at a higher temp?

If the pellets didn't dissolve, you didn't get any utilization from them.

I normally use a hop spider with a 5 gal paint strainer bag, but on big hoppy beers, I only add the initial hops to the spider. For subsequent additions, I put each one into separate bags with an SS fitting tossed in for weight. The multiple bags actually have a filtering effect when whirlpooling as all the break material tends to stick to the bags in the center of the kettle.

Recirculate directly into the hop spider... you're really not "whirlpooling" out trub when the wort is hot anyway.
I recirc into my hop spider during late additions/hop stands, then transfer the hopped wort through a filter and plate chiller to the whirlpool, then whirlpool for about 20 minutes chilled.

If you have your pick up tube close to the edge of the pot I would just ditch the hop-spider. Witha good 20 min whirlpool you shouldn't get any trub or hops near the edge of your pot.

Recirculate directly into the hop spider... you're really not "whirlpooling" out trub when the wort is hot anyway.
I recirc into my hop spider during late additions/hop stands, then transfer the hopped wort through a filter and plate chiller to the whirlpool, then whirlpool for about 20 minutes chilled.

I guess I could use a silicone hose and direct it inside the hop spider. I've just been connecting it to the tangential inlet on the kettle but never had a problem until now.

I guess I could use a silicone hose and direct it inside the hop spider. I've just been connecting it to the tangential inlet on the kettle but never had a problem until now.

Added benefit: Once you start chilling, you will catch the cold break in the spider.

Added benefit: Once you start chilling, you will catch the cold break in the spider.

After the whirlpool it's only a single pass through the plate chiller and into the carboy, especially this time of year. In the summer it may take a couple of passes.

I haven't used my CFC yet in the winter, I forget it will be possible to go directly into the fermenter.

Just a follow up post that recirculating into the hop spider doesn't work. The wort doesn't leave the spider so in essence it "drains" the boil kettle. Still don't have a good way to add whirlpool hops.

Just a follow up post that recirculating into the hop spider doesn't work. The wort doesn't leave the spider so in essence it "drains" the boil kettle. Still don't have a good way to add whirlpool hops.

I had the same problem last week recirculating into a paint strainer bag. After running the pump for a few minutes I looked down and there was inches of wort in the pot around the bag and gallons of wort in the bag! I took my metal spoon and stirred / scraped the inside of the bag and that let everything flow again, albeit fairly slow. I just turned off the pump until the volume levels in and out of the bag were about equal, then turned the pump back on. After that I'd occasionally stir/scrape the bag until I was done recirculating.

It may not be ideal, but works in a pinch.

I had the same problem last week recirculating into a paint strainer bag. After running the pump for a few minutes I looked down and there was inches of wort in the pot around the bag and gallons of wort in the bag! I took my metal spoon and stirred / scraped the inside of the bag and that let everything flow again, albeit fairly slow. I just turned off the pump until the volume levels in and out of the bag were about equal, then turned the pump back on. After that I'd occasionally stir/scrape the bag until I was done recirculating.

It may not be ideal, but works in a pinch.

With a couple inches of wort in the kettle I would have probably blew out my heating element!

What I did when I brewed yesterday was put my whirlpool hops into the tall, skinny SS hop spider that I use when dry hopping in keg. That seemed to do the trick and I'll be doing that on a go-forward basis.

I have had the same problem with a stainless hop spider. I don't recirculate, but returning through the spider sounds like a great idea. I have to remember to stir the hop spider occasionally to kick up the sludge.

Back