hop shelf life?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moger777

Reaction score
Just wondering what the shelf life of hops. I'm guessing pellet hops last longer than leaf hops but how much for each type? I was considering buying bulk hops to make sure I have them on hand but it would be a waste if they went stale before using them.

Depends on storage. If you vacuum seal and freeze it's possible to keep them for a year or more.

The current BYO says 2-3 years if they are packaged right and froze properly, they will loose a bit but should be no biggy. They said some pro brewers even prefer to age their hops before using them.
I just read it this morning and already cant remember exactly what they said but that was the gist of it.

I have 2# that sat for 14 months, the Open bag had to go the sealed ones I am using and have found them to be a little less potent.. I am using and extra 20% to get the same bitterness

i usually parcel my bulk buys out into 2 oz freezer bags. works well, and the seems to last forerever

I've got a couple pounds from Hops Direct that I received more than a year ago. I vacuum sealed and froze them as soon as they arrived. I brewed with them yesterday and they smelled quite fresh.
I was contemplating throwing them out until this shortage hit. Now I'm glad I kept them. I will probably start adjusting my additions to account for age but first I want to see how they performed in my latest batch.

I just ran some Cascade thru Beersmith's Hop Age feature:

Vacuum packed 0º
0 months 6.9%
12 months 6.11%
24 months 5.42%
36 months 4.8%
48 months 4.25%
60 months 3.77%

Poly Bag 0º
0 months 6.9%
12 months 5.42%
24 months 4.25%