Hop Season 2019

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MezzoRN

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m moving to a much larger plot of property and plan to build a nice trellis system for the new hops will them growing for years to come. Currently where I am now, I have a well producing 4th year Chinook that I’m going to transplant and take some clippings from. Plan is to use that starter and have him run along my chain link fence at the new house this spring. That states, this order is where the fun begins. Closing on 2/28/19 for the house, will keep this updated as the adventures continue. Feel free to share your own season growth and trellis ideas.

145DDADA-63C6-4B47-8504-3EFFA639F74C.jpeg

Two really interesting varieties I’ve only seen available recently are Comet and Sorachi Ace.

I recently noticed that Eickelmann have Comet for sale from Germany if you can get it through plant health controls, and have most of the modern German varieties like Hallertau Blanc, Mandarina etc for sale to addresses in Germany.

I recently noticed that Eickelmann have Comet for sale from Germany if you can get it through plant health controls, and have most of the modern German varieties like Hallertau Blanc, Mandarina etc for sale to addresses in Germany.

Oh, I assumed Mandarina Bavaria was a patented strain! That’s great.

My US state of Oregon has very strict import regulations for living hop material, probably because it’s such an important crop here. I have to source rhizomes or crowns from local sources. I was delighted to find Comet rhizomes a couple of years ago.

[USER = 245927] @Northern_Brewer [/ USER]
Oui
je confirme, c'est bien le cas, je vais obtenir un collègue qui a un ami sur place (Mandarina Bavaria et Hallertau Blanc)

Last edited:
I hope u plan to brew a lot with all of those hops!

Haha, yes! I do plan to brew a lot, that stated I am not sure how much my wife is going to make me design this with a more ornamental setup or not. I anticipate giving out a ton of hops though, no doubt. Trying to find a way I can make it look decent in the back yard while keeping some semblance of good growth and health to the plants. Once the snow clears up I'll share pictures for sure - currently buried pretty deep right now.

I do plan on building a vertical 20ft pole style trellis in the back of the yard for some hops that I want to harvest specifically for brewing, I’m transplanting my monster 5 year old chinook in a few weeks (some snow has melted since these pics). Should I run some up the back of the garage? Not much sun there until about noon, but it will get 8-10 hours in the summer fine. Also considering letting it trellis up the front deck, but I’m not sure how that would look. Anyone else let them run horizontal?

IMG_2070.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG

The back of the garage with 8 to 10 hours of sun seems like a great spot to grow some. I have seen pictures online of hops grown horizontally along a deck. From what I’m read some vigilance is needed to train them to do that, but it can be done and can look very nice. Been considering it myself.

8-10 hours of sun should be sufficient as long as it doesn't get too hot back there.

I don't think you'll have too much problem getting them to grow on the deck except they will grow up and kind of pile up on the top rail and then spill over and move horizontally. You could get a cleaner look by training. I wouldn't do that with more than one or two varieties because they will grow into each other especially after a year or two of root development.

Received the package from Great Lakes Hops a couple days ago. So far nothing but good things to say about the delivery, little bit weak from the trip but they all appear strong enough to survive in the long run. Willamette, Willow Creak and Magnum appear the strongest of the delivery and the most promising for any cones this season - to be expected though. Potted them all today, I know, everything says don’t pot them - however I’ve been potting clippings for years without an issue ever for friends and families. Thinking around Labor Day I’ll be able to get the trellis up and get them outside. So stoked about the varieties and numbers! Will be able to make a truly unique independent brew every time.

IMG_2262.JPG
IMG_2263.JPG
IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_1668.JPG
First shoots coming up from my 2nd year Centennial. Cashmere rhizome to be delivered Friday and planted this weekend and then local wild hop rhizomes to be harvested later this summer. Really looking forward to Summer 2019b!!!

View attachment 623761 First shoots coming up from my 2nd year Centennial. Cashmere rhizome to be delivered Friday and planted this weekend and then local wild hop rhizomes to be harvested later this summer. Really looking forward to Summer 2019b!!!

Never heard of Cashmere, where are you getting them from?

Little update, getting a little strength here. Snipped off some clippings on the stronger ones with multiple shoots to get some others rooting. Beauty of hops is how astonishingly easy it is to clone them!

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

Wow ! I didn't know that they would root when they are that small. I could have been doing that for years. So many hops out where we have summer cabins and I want to experiment with them.

Cashmere is a fairly new variety. Only released in 2013. This was the first or second year of rhizome availability, at least publicly that I could find and even then was rather limited. Tropical aromas and flavours for a non proprietary hop is pretty awesome. Looking forward to seeing what this can produce, especially as a wet hop.

Wow ! I didn't know that they would root when they are that small. I could have been doing that for years. So many hops out where we have summer cabins and I want to experiment with them.

Oh yeah it really is as simple as just snipping off some early shoots and plopping it in a water bottle. A about 2-3 weeks later you have plenty enough roots to throw them in some miracle grow in a small pot. The roots typically totally engulf my 1 gal pots within the summer if I don’t ground them quick enough. I typically give these away to friends sometime in late June, they’ll typically by then look pretty similar to the ones that I just clipped them from in the picture above in a month or two. I just cut off a shoot or so about a foot long, snip off above every leave break and I’ll get 3-4 clippings a piece from it.

Mine were just ninja delivered.
didn't even hear the mail man on the porch.
going to build some boxes without bottoms tonight so I can get these in the ground with some potting soil this weekend.
the ground in my moms garden should be fine.
I have one 2nd yr cascade coming up now.

then I have to go find some skinny trees to cut in the woods to use as poles soon.

Mine were just ninja delivered.
didn't even hear the mail man on the porch.

Fortunately my mailbox is really old and squeaky so we can hear it inside but any packages, unless they knock, sit out there until we notice them. We live in town so that can be bad . So far we have never had anything taken (knock on wood) but I caught a girl going through the neighbors mailbox the other day.

Fortunately my mailbox is really old and squeaky so we can hear it inside but any packages, unless they knock, sit out there until we notice them. We live in town so that can be bad . So far we have never had anything taken (knock on wood) but I caught a girl going through the neighbors mailbox the other day.

Well my phone notified me because I signed up for the usps notifications.
since normal mail already came I may not of noticed until tomorrow.

aww who am I kidding, I was checking the tracking twice a day. :)

Just got shipping notification for my rhizomes to be delivered Monday give or take. Problem being I’m leaving on Saturday for a week long trip. Will swmbo put them in the fridge as soon as they arrive, or chunk em on the end table till the day before I get back......? Drum roll.......

View attachment 623761 First shoots coming up from my 2nd year Centennial. Cashmere rhizome to be delivered Friday and planted this weekend and then local wild hop rhizomes to be harvested later this summer. Really looking forward to Summer 2019b!!!

IMG_1681.JPG

Decent progress for a week (I think?) given that we are still below freezing overnight and highs have been in the high 40’s to low 50’s in that time.

Hard to be patient...

Dug up my Chinook from my camp today to relocate it! Didn’t even come close to finding all the roots... stoked to find a spot for this guy.

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

Some progress being made on the water bottle clippings.

IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG

This one right here, was a clipping from the chinook above I did last summer. This was a left over pot, that I thought I had given away. To put in perspective how resilient hops are, this one sprouted with zero sunlight, was sitting in my garage all winter after I didn’t find someone to give him to.

IMG_0237.JPG

Some progress being made on the water bottle clippings.

This one right here, was a clipping from the chinook above I did last summer. This was a left over pot, that I thought I had given away. To put in perspective how resilient hops are, this one sprouted with zero sunlight, was sitting in my garage all winter after I didn’t find someone to give him to.
I'm putting in 2nd yr plants from great lakes hops that look like they have already been trimmed to 2-3 shoots.
but next yr I will give the water clipping trick a try for sure.

that's amazing.

The family that I bought this home from left us a lot of trash, but also some inconvenient things to clean up that are not horrible. They left this big pile of slate and granite in the lower driveway and I haven’t had time to really clean up (and it’s been raining like crazy). So I had a decent day off with the kiddo and decided to start cleaning up this mess...
IMG_2386.JPG

Doing so, I was able to begin putting together a hop bed for my big Chinook that I transplanted a few weeks ago. The move slowed him down a lot, however with all the rain and fertilizer I gave him the past few weeks he’s starting to rebound. I don’t expect a lot from him this season because of the move, but next year should be fine. Gonna just throw some more compost and soil here to fill in around the bed a little once the shoots come up a little. Excited to see how full this bed gets down the road.
IMG_2389.JPG

Back