Hop ripeness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome video, hopfarmer. Today was my first time harvesting and i may have picked a day or two early. My cones sprung back but didn't quite have the same papery crunch. The lupulin was heavy enough to be pushing the leaves of the cones open and they smelled like citrusy deliciousness. I'll wait a couple days to pick more. Thanks for a very helpful video

Appreciated. Waiting for the last blast of summer sun before harvesting here! Not quite papery.

Mine are still at different various stages. My nugget is just giving spurs. My Willamette and sunbeam have mature cones but need a couple of days of hard sun to dry them out. Can't wait until they're all in. I haven't me grand plans for them! :)

Thanks, mine are growing cones. I was wondering about harvest. Some plants are ahead of others, I guess I just pick them as they ripen.

Yep, harvest as they ripen. If your plants are different varieties then it is likely they will flower/ ripen non-uniformly. For instance my cascade bine flowered significantly earlier than my nugget bine.

Back