Hop rhizomes sprouting in fridge. What do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrogenWidget

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got my cascade and tettnanger
rhizomes in about a week ago from yakima hops.
It's currently 37 here in WNY but it's been low 30's the last few days and there is almost a ft of snow on the ground.
I got these guys in their shipped bags which are now open inside zip-lock bags with a damp paper towel. nothing is touching the hops directly and i've been checking for mold or mildew and noticed they are sprouting. The cascade more than the other.

should I plant them in pots now then move them to the field when the weather breaks or just leave them until weather breaks hopefully in a few weeks.

Thanks.

I don't see why you couldn't treat it like any other indoor seedling or starter in that you can plant it now indoors and then transplant outdoors it when the likelihood of freezing is gone. I haven't had the need to try this myself, but I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as it has an adequate light source indoors.

Sure i ordered some rhizomes also they haven't arrived yet but one recomendation i got is that if is still snowing or icing you can store them in the freezer or plant them in pots indoors, untill the weather is ready for planting them outdoors.

everywhere i look I see conflicting info.
pot them, don't pot them because transplanting them will shock them.
stick them in the ground as soon as you can till it and they will survive in 20 degree's with a ft on mulch.
Leave them in the fridge.
lol.
driving me batty. :)

I would definitely transplant them in gallon pots, or they risk developing rot. I would not use growlight at first as that would just encourage more rapid top growth. What you want initially are roots so apply heat underneath by either use a grow mat or placing them on top of your fridge or somewhere else where heat is emitting. Or simply put the pots in the garage where it's likely not freezing but is cold and dark.

I think i'm going with the pots and potting soil with some bone meal then transplanting them as soon as possible in april.
my basement is cold and dark. :)

I think i'm going with the pots and potting soil with some bone meal then transplanting them as soon as possible in april.
my basement is cold and dark. :)
Not sure why you would add additional phosphorus to the soil at this stage. Seeing as you have some time before being able to transplant, encouraging growth seems to be the opposite what you'd like to do. Besides, you don't have much in terms or microbial activity in the potting soil and those buggers would probably not be able to break it down fast enough for the the plant to use before you are transplanting. Me personally would not add anything until transplanting outdoors, and even then, just rich compost with some worm castings would do.

But regardless what you do, shoving them in pots is the best route to take.

I got my cascade and tettnanger
rhizomes in about a week ago from yakima hops.
It's currently 37 here in WNY but it's been low 30's the last few days and there is almost a ft of snow on the ground.
I got these guys in their shipped bags which are now open inside zip-lock bags with a damp paper towel. nothing is touching the hops directly and i've been checking for mold or mildew and noticed they are sprouting. The cascade more than the other.

should I plant them in pots now then move them to the field when the weather breaks or just leave them until weather breaks hopefully in a few weeks.

Thanks.

Are they actually elongating (growing) or are you just seeing the buds? Ideally, they should be dug and put into cold storage before the buds begin to start pushing due to the fact that if the buds have elongated to an inch or two, they may break off during shipping and the customers end up unnecessarily freaking out.

Over the years I've been forced to dig late due to exceptionally cold winters which have caused the ground to stay frozen much longer than usual. By the time it thaws enough to start digging, many of the buds have already begun to elongate but once you get them cut, trimmed and cleaned and refrigerated, they pretty much stay that way for quite a few months.

I would suggest not believing me and take one and pot it, but leave the other one sealed up in the fridge until the weather breaks. Worse case is that the sealed up one may have a little 'fuzz' growing on it but that fuzz is usually just an innocuous, run-of-the-mill organism that can be rinsed off with no harm to the rhizome.

Back