Dry hops in a paper bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
I've got a situation where I have to take a trip for about 1 week. I picked my hops today even though I would have liked to let them go a few more days but, I was scared they would be over ripe when I got back. Anyway, I'm going to leave the air conditioner on in my house at 80° for my snake. Do you guys think that leaving them in the house in a paper bag would be okay? Kind of spread out in it? Or, should I put them on a window screen and just leave them in the house at 80°? Another thought was, I could leave them in the paper bag sitting out on my porch underneath my awning. They would always be shaded and never in direct sunlight but it gets about a hundred degrees outside here everyday for a high temp.
What are you guys think?

I think leaving them spread out on a window screen in the house would be okay. I usually dry mine that way, in a small room with a dehumdifier and a couple fans going for air circulation. Temp in my room probably in the 70s. Mine have sat that way for a week without issue. You could try leave a fan going too for air circulation.

Well, I'm back now and I wound up with 30 grams of dry Cascade hops. I'm not really sure what to do with them. I've heard that you need like three times the amount of dry hops that you do of pellet hops so, 1 oz of these doesn't leave me with much I can think of for utilizing them. What are you guys recommend?

Well, I'm back now and I wound up with 30 grams of dry Cascade hops. I'm not really sure what to do with them. I've heard that you need like three times the amount of dry hops that you do of pellet hops so, 1 oz of these doesn't leave me with much I can think of for utilizing them. What are you guys recommend?
Once dried, hop flowers and pellets can be substituted 1:1, flavorwise, but your hops will still vary from those of other sources.

Now with homegrown hops, you won't know their %AA, so their bittering potential will be somewhat of a guess.

They're best used as a) dry hops or b) late whirlpool/hopstand additions (say added at 140F for 10-20'). They're much fresher than store bought, which is what makes them unique.

Once dried, hop flowers and pellets can be substituted 1:1, flavorwise, but your hops will still vary from those of other sources.

Now with homegrown hops, you won't know their %AA, so their bittering potential will be somewhat of a guess.

They're best used as a) dry hops or b) late whirlpool/hopstand additions (say added at 140F for 10-20'). They're much fresher than store bought, which is what makes them unique.
Great! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

When are you planning to use them? If longer than a few days to a week, Vacuum pack if you can, or store them in O2 barrier, multi-layer or mylar bags (hope you saved some).
Without a vacuum sealer, flush those bags with N2 or CO2 to remove most air (oxygen). Then squeeze as much gas out as you can as you seal them tight.

Store in the freezer.

When are you planning to use them? If longer than a few days to a week, Vacuum pack if you can, or store them in O2 barrier, multi-layer or mylar bags (hope you saved some).
Without a vacuum sealer, flush those bags with N2 or CO2 to remove most air (oxygen). Then squeeze as much gas out as you can as you seal them tight.

Store in the freezer.
I figured in the next few days. I just put them in a Tupperware type container in the fridge. That ok?

Island lizard, should I bag them up or let them swim? Just wondering if they might be better off in a bag so they don't clog up anything when I transfer from the boil kettle to the fermenters.

Island lizard, should I bag them up or let them swim? Just wondering if they might be better off in a bag so they don't clog up anything when I transfer from the boil kettle to the fermenters.
If your kettle exit port or pickup tube doesn't have some sort of filter (mesh or otherwise), on the inside, yeah, better bag them. They'll float first, but eventually sink. Put a few glass marbles or a stainless fitting in the bag, along with the hops, to keep it submerged.

I "massage" or lift the bag to periodically drain it, so fresh wort can get inside.

If your kettle exit port or pickup tube doesn't have some sort of filter (mesh or otherwise), on the inside, yeah, better bag them. They'll float first, but eventually sink. Put a few glass marbles or a stainless fitting in the bag, along with the hops, to keep it submerged.

I "massage" or lift the bag to periodically drain it, so fresh wort can get inside.
Excellent! Thank you.

Back