Hop recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
Going to do an extract pale ale. Have 2 hops I never used (amarillo 9.6 AAU and citra 14.5 AAU). I want nice aroma, and medium hopped, maybe 40-50 IBU. I have 2 oz each (pellets). Thanks.

Ooooh, I love amarillo hops! They have this wonderful grapefruity citrus to them. Citra is more "tropical", and screams MANGO at me so I don't love it as much as other people do. Still, that would be a good combo.

I'd probably use other hops for bittering if you have them, and do something like this:

.5 oz bittering hops (or up to 25 IBUs with this addition) 60 minutes
.5 oz amarillo hops 15 minutes
.5 oz citra 10 minutes
.5 oz amarillo 5 minutes
.5 oz citra 5 minutes
dryhop with .5 oz of both for 5-7 days.

So you love Amarillo, but suggest that I do NOT use them to bitter? I thought the taste aspects of the hop get utilized the longer you boil it? The shorter the boil the less taste and more aroma, right?

BTW - if you recommend a different bittering hop, I also have Saaz, Hallertau, Fuggles, Northern and others in the freezer.

I would say the most flavor and aroma comes from dry hop, I would make the 5 min addition a hop stand. If you can get cascade or centennial hops, they pair excellent with amarillo to get a strong grapefruit aroma and flavor.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

The oils and other flavor/aroma compounds boil off very quickly. Basically, for boil additions, about 0-5 minutes will give you the most aroma and about 15 minutes will give you the most flavor. After that you'll only be reducing those compounds and increasing the bitterness. That's the reason that yooper recommended those times.
Dry hopping will give you the most aroma but no flavor. Also, I've noticed that the aroma from dry hopping is a bit different than boil hops so I'd recommend using both.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back