Hop Recommendation for CDA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a Cascadian Dark Ale to low-70's for IBUs and want to dry hop with the Crystal, Legacy or Glacier I got from the big Hops Direct sale. I could probably get my hands on some Cascade as well.

Which would you pick?

I have no experience with the hops you mentioned but in my Black IPA experience Chinook, Centennial, and Simcoe are all great choices. I say Black IPA instead of CDA because a bunch of buddies from Portland gave me grief one time by saying it has to have Willamette or some other Pacific Northwest hop in it to call it a CDA :)

I have no experience with the hops you mentioned but in my Black IPA experience Chinook, Centennial, and Simcoe are all great choices. I say Black IPA instead of CDA because a bunch of buddies from Portland gave me grief one time by saying it has to have Willamette or some other Pacific Northwest hop in it to call it a CDA :)

Chinook, Centennial, and Simcoe are all Pacific Northwest hops. :)

For the OP, I think the Legacy Hops could give some interesting results.

You can really go with any combination of PNW or New Zealand hops and it'll be good.

Deschutes Hop in the Dark:
Northern Brewer, Nugget, Centennial, Amarillo, Cascade, Citra

Stone 15:
Columbus (bittering), Citra (flavor/aroma). Dry-hopped with Nelson Sauvin and Pacific Jade.

Pyramid Discord:
Nugget, Zythos, Mt. Hood, Cascade

Thanks guys. This is for a second round NHC entry. I am doing four different dry hopping options in 2.5 gallon kegs. I'll bounce the results off a local brewery owner/ BJCP judge and send the best one in.

Back