hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
i was wondering im not full up on what differnt flavors hops give off but i was wondering are there any hops that give off more of a citrus/ sweet flavor?

ok i been looking at hops now im down between 4 ..

summit
sterling
cascade
Hallertau

now what woudl be the best out of these guys to give a nice good smooth flavor but strong citrus flavor and not super bitter

im going to be making a white Belgian beer... somethign that is going to be clean, smooth and really refreshing for the rest of the summer/ fall

For a witbier, hallertau is a really traditional hop to use. 1 oz for 60 minutes gives a really mild bitterness- and later additions will add a really low key floral aroma and flavor. A slightly more spicy alternative to hallertau would be liberty.

The thing is with a to-style witbier is that the hop character isn't really the showcase flavor like it would be in other beers. You really want something just to add a little antiseptic quality to your beer to keep it from getting infected before the yeast ferments it out. Flavor should come from the coriander, orange peel, wheat, and yeast. So really any low alpha hop will do because it's flavor really won't shine through a 60 minute boil.

Cheers

ok well how about this .. im just brain storming here so give any input please

if i was to use the cascade or the Hallertau at the beginning of the boil .. but then throw in some summit at liek the last 10 to 5 mins of boil or even at flame out to just add the flavor ... and that woudl help keep the strong bitterniss down right?

if you're adding at the beginning and end (bittering and aroma), with that combo i'd use sterling for bittering and hallertau with 5-10 left for aroma

Maybe you should explore belgian yeasts which give off citrusy notes. Traditionally hops take a backseat to yeast in Belgian brewing. Tettnang is my favorite in Belgian brews...

Back