Hop Quanity for a Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
How does one determine the quantity of hops to use, both boil and dry hop amounts to obtain great flavor & aroma while balancing the hop/malt qualities?

For dry hoping I generally use 1-2 oz for 3 gallon batches.
For bittering I usually go for 25-30 IBU's at 60 then do 10 and zero additions.

Just seems like the aroma/flavor is lacking on some brews.
Would it be best to add a large flameout addition of 1.5-2 oz and then DH with another ounce or two?

I also do water adjustments, mainly with Calcium Chloride and Gypsum.

Your bittering sounds good. If you want to get real hoppy, go with 2-3 oz at FO.....then another 2-3 dry hop.

I've gone as high as 6 oz FO/hopstand and 6 oz dry hop.

Can always move everything under 20. You will use a bit more hoppy goodness to get your IBU target, but flavor and aroma will be quite nice.

for flavor you might try first wort hopping or as redlantern suggested more additions in the 10-30 minute range.
for aroma, it's all post boil...hops at KO, whirlpooling & dry hops are your best bet.

How does one determine the quantity of hops to use, both boil and dry hop amounts to obtain great flavor & aroma while balancing the hop/malt qualities?

For dry hoping I generally use 1-2 oz for 3 gallon batches.
For bittering I usually go for 25-30 IBU's at 60 then do 10 and zero additions.

Just seems like the aroma/flavor is lacking on some brews.
Would it be best to add a large flameout addition of 1.5-2 oz and then DH with another ounce or two?

I also do water adjustments, mainly with Calcium Chloride and Gypsum.

If your an hophead, which seems more and more i am :), i seen one guys use 17oz of pellets in one 5 gal batch and won a medal!

Lots of late additions and dry hopping.

Next batch may move everything at 20 and below with 2 oz at FO and a couple DH and see how that works. Seems like when I go above 4 oz DH I have oxidation issues since I don't have a closed transfer system set up- Still bottle.

Next batch may move everything at 20 and below with 2 oz at FO and a couple DH and see how that works. Seems like when I go above 4 oz DH I have oxidation issues since I don't have a closed transfer system set up- Still bottle.

I have been doing a lot of steep/whirlpool lately. Couple oz at flameout and let it sit for 20-30min.

I usually use a 60min bittering hop - magnum - and 5min addition along with the steep and some dryhops the last few months.

I like the results. Citra is a nice hop.

My American Pale Ale recipe has 6 ounces of hops for 5.5 gallons.
Bittering addition
2 ounces late boil
2 ounces post boil
1.5 ounces dry hop

For my house pale ale I use about 5oz. My bitterring is 1oz of warrior fwh, then an ounce of green bullet and HBC 438 @ 5' and FO. Dry hop is another oz of the late addition hops.

Any more hops and I feel you are encroaching on IPA territory.

Really hop dependant.

Did a pale with Comet and Amarillo with Nelson in hopstand. All additions were at 20, flameout and hopstand. Made a killer pale ale with a lot of flavor and only used 4 oz.

My recent IPA's have had as much as 15 oz per 5 gallons, so I guess you could say I like hops. Just saying that hop selection is as important as quantity. Can get a lot of flavor without a rigid expectation of hop quantity

Latest posts

Back