hop particles when dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GillandCo

Reaction score
My first time adding whole hops and i chose to dry hop in a keg. I know im suppose to leave it for 2 weeks or so, and iv'e seen people leave them in for the life of the keg, but i couldn't help my self. I just kegged my amber yesterday and pulled a glass today, only to find a crap load of hop leaves floating around in my beer...and yes i did use a hop bag! Is there something I did wrong, or should I let it sit and hopefully as I pull a couple pints it clears up?

My first time adding whole hops and i chose to dry hop in a keg. I know im suppose to leave it for 2 weeks or so, and iv'e seen people leave them in for the life of the keg, but i couldn't help my self. I just kegged my amber yesterday and pulled a glass today, only to find a crap load of hop leaves floating around in my beer...and yes i did use a hop bag! Is there something I did wrong, or should I let it sit and hopefully as I pull a couple pints it clears up?

My guess is your hop bag doesn't have fine enough mesh. I currently have a DIPA with 1oz of centennial leaf hops in the keg and have yet to see any particles. I'm using a nylon bag i got from my LBHS that has extremely fine mesh.

I'm using a nylon bag also...Im not touching it for a couple weeks so I hope it clears, Im not to pleased with how this amber turned out, I should have stuck with the original recipe I had. O well!

I'm using a nylon bag also...Im not touching it for a couple weeks so I hope it clears, Im not to pleased with how this amber turned out, I should have stuck with the original recipe I had. O well!

There are a variety of nylon bags, from course, fine, extra fine, etc.

So i have been pouring a Glass a day and tonight have noticed no hop particles...might have been the initial shaking for force carbing...Anyways my amber taste more like a PA but is still really good, Ill be brewing it again for the 3rd time real soon. Thanks for all the suggestions!

So i have been pouring a Glass a day and tonight have noticed no hop particles...might have been the initial shaking for force carbing...Anyways my amber taste more like a PA but is still really good, Ill be brewing it again for the 3rd time real soon. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I do the same and have use two different hops bags. The gallon paint strainer bags you get get at Lowes have a rather coarse mesh and will result in more debris. The fine mesh bag from the LHBS is much finer. I'm using the fine mesh for a current keg dry hop with mixed whole and pellet hops. Drew the first glass yesterday and it had some fine particulates, but not bad. Even with the coarse hop bag it seem like after 4-5 pints, as long as the keg is not touched, it clears completely, or at least until the keg is killed. I typically leave the hops bag in the keg if it will be killed in less than a month.

Good to know I was planning on dry hopping for 2 weeks then removing them but that all depends on how my aroma is...

Back