Hop leaves yellowing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siberian

Reaction score
I have 3 hops planted along the side if my house and one of them is starting to turn yellow on it's lower leaves. It has the most hops on it right now and is the largest one I have.

I tried putting some slow release fertilizer around it. We have had a decent amount of rain lately so I haven't been watering.

Does it need water or is this something else?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407019795.150442.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

First year grower so Im not positive but I believe since it is nearing the end of the growing season the majority of water and nutrients go to hop production. When this happens the leaves begin dying off. I have the same thing happening with mine.

Hey there, I am in the midwest and my leaves are starting to turn yellow in the fall colors kind of yellow.

Yours look a little more like they are a fertilization issue. When did you last fertilize with either blood meal or bone meal?

Now, the other thing I have seen with my (only second year grower) plants is that if the leave is about hand sized, then that is as big as they get and they can die off. As long as the smaller leaves are still green and stiff (enough water) then just keep on keeping on.

These are basically weeds everywhere in the NorthEast and Europe, so as long as they get water and basic nutrients, then all us home growers will get hops.

Your leaves are dying off because it's nearing the end of the season. No worries. As long as those cones are growing, then your leaves can yellow all they want. Mine are dying off towards the base, and yellowing up to about 4 feet.

Nope. Trust on this one guys, I've battled that for years. Nitrogen. You guys have a nitrogen deficiency. The slow release won't help you much, you need lawn fertilizer with 25+% Nitrogen content. Sprinkle it pretty thick around the roots and all your new grow will be lush green, perfectly healthy. Those damaged leaves will never recover, but it won't matter much in the end if you catch it early enough.

I just had to apply fertilizer this season again (after fertilizing this spring) because my leaves were yellowing just like yours. The fertilizer fixes it immediately as long as you put enough down (not too much).

Hope that helps.

Back