Hop leaves teared apart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drackean

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know this has been asked numerous times, but I just can't find a satisfying answer no matter how I search. My 2th year hops have been taking a lot of abuse lately and I just don't know what is feasting on them. I suppose it is game over for now, but I would like to know my enemy next year and how to fight it.

I live in Québec, Canada. I've never seen a japanese beetle in my life so I suppose it is not the issue. No aphids or spider mites as far as I know. There is some ants here and there on the plants, but I've heard they are usually harmless. I occasionally see some green tiny catterpillars under the leaves which seems to cause some damage, but they are few and I always remove them. I can't imagine they would cause that much damage.

The plants are attacked on their top. The first 4-5 feets are not perfect, but still looks like leaves. It seems even some flowers are being eaten (look at the last picture).

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

Looks like what the Japanese Beetles did to my beans last summer. I just planted hops this spring in Maine and have not seen any beetles on the hops and only a few beetles on my beans so far.

That looks like beetles. I don't think Japanese beetles are nocturnal - I was just picking a few off the tops of my Chinooks. You should be able to find a few if they're about...

Cheers!

Someone in PM pointed the green catterpillars could be hop/cabbage loopers, which looks a lot like what I occasionally have under the leaves. It seems no more than a few of these can do quite damage.

Thank you for the input on the beetles. Let's hope I'll get some harvest anyway !

Back