Hop leaves "cupping"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardyexfor

Reaction score
My hops sprouted extra early this year due to unseasonably warm spring weather. Most all my plants are doing fantastic except my two cascades. They are growing fine and are probably already 3 ft tall. However, the leaves, especially on one plant in particular are all mostly curled up or "cupped". Not sure is some of the low overnight temps could be the cause, or maybe nutrient deficiency?

The secind cascade has some leaves like this but no where near as many nor as bad. I also have a CTZ plant in the same bed less than 10 ft away that looks beautiful with none of these same symptoms.

Anything to worry about here?

Thanks,
Dan

IMG_20150327_181330180.jpg

IMG_20150327_181316698.jpg

Looks like water stress, but couldn't say. How low are your overnight temps compared to the warm weather? Not a nutrient deficiency, those are indicated by discoloration of the leaves in the veins/interveinal areas. Have you been watering them or just letting the infamous Oregon rain give them a drink? Have you fertilized recently? Have you noticed any bugs/egg sacks/ gnats etc?

EDIT: How about gophers?

The overnights were getting down to ~30 a few weeks ago. Today for instance, is a high of 77 with a low of 33. I have not started watering yet because we have been getting rain and the other plants seem OK. I have not noticed any bugs except a couple pil bugs in the garden. No fertilizer yet.

Edit: No gophers here.

Test the soil. Buy a test kit at a garden supply store for around $10.00 it could be lacking nitrogen. But test the soil before adding any.

Back