Hop Harvest ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saunassa

One Life Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I am thinking for this years hop harvest ale. I made something similar last time using breiss 2-row and using cascade pellet for the 45
minute bittering. No Willamette fresh on hand so 1/2 ounce cascade @60 and 10 ounces @10 so total was 21 ounces of hops. Was tasty. This time around I am trying to use up the MO and Vienna malts up. Thoughts? Should I use something different then Willamette for bittering? I have Simcoe, mosaic, cascade and a number of other pellets on hand.
I will fill a brew in a bag with the fresh hops, so that the can float and yet not plug the pump when moved to fermenter. 6 gallon batch.

Was posted in recipe section but no feedback.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220914-064311.png
    Screenshot_20220914-064311.png
    303.1 KB · Views: 0
I think this is fine although if I wanted to change one thing I would adjust the water profile to lean more towards sulfate than chloride. If you've brewed similar beers with that water profile and you're happy with the result, you should keep doing what works.

The recipe is moving in the direction of an amber with the grain bill but that works with the hop selection. Nugget is fairly mild in flavor so I'm not sure that's enough but the only way you'll find out is to brew it. I brewed a similar amber ale with a hefty amount of nugget hops that had a nice peach tea flavor from the hops. I'm not sure if the flavor is the same fresh but I think you're on the right track.

Well I multitasked and brewed while working remote on Friday. Used 10oz @10, 10oz @5 and 5oz @flameout. Used one of my biab bags to hold them. Here are the 25 ounces of fresh picked nuggets with hop packages for reference (no banana available). Bumped my sulphate slightly as @mashpaddled suggested. Only concern is that the yeast i used (Nottingham) got super active and since not home hit 74 degrees for about 8 hours before I could put a fan and chill it down.

Attachments

• IMG_20220916_143613985.jpg
    IMG_20220916_143613985.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
The beer has been kegged for a week and half. Nice malt flavor, color came out like I was hoping. Still a little hazy, then again could be from all the hops. Not that bitter, similar to blondes I have brewed. Color is a bit lighter then the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20221104_201344280.jpg
    IMG_20221104_201344280.jpg
    978 KB · Views: 0
Back