Hop Hardiness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WYOBrews

Reaction score
Question...I live at high altitue in Wyoming. Last year I planted 8 different varieties. They grew, but no production. This winter was very mild and dry with very warm temps this last week. I just noticed last week that four of my hops were already out of the ground about an inch. I managed to scrape up some leaves and cover all of my plants. We have frost danger until early June around here. Since these are perenials, will the cold and early starts be ok on them? Or, will it do tem in? I hop to getsome hops this year....What a crazy winter and spring it has been!

I let the first growth grow one year just to see what would happen. They were up about 3 feet and we got a freeze. They turned to mush and faded into oblivion. The vines that came up later were fine as we were past the freezing night-time temps. This year, after a truly unseasonable Winter, I cut the first growth (which was a month-and-a-half ahead of time) back and now we're back to frosty nights (20's and 30's). The second flush of growth has been severely restricted/stunted for the last two weeks. Usually, once we start getting some warmer weather they'll pick right back up. Hope this gives you something to work from.

As long as it's not prolonged frost you should be fine.They are very hardy plants. We had a night dip into the 20s and the bines survived without issue.

Back