hop fertilizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsaacFuent

Reaction score
hello guy i just wanted you opinion on the Alaska Fish 1-Gal Emulsion Fertilizer, a friend of mine who grows weed swears by it, i wanted to try a new fertilizer on my 1st year centennials. they are like 2 1/2 month old and i wanted to move them to a larger conteiner, is it too late?
cheers!

fish based stuff is good, I use Fox Farms, which is another sworn-by product of the hydroponic community. Also look into a product called "Mycogrow" which is mycorrhizal fungi and other healthy soil bacteria that will give your plants a good head start.

which one for fox farm? cause i see there's 5 or 6
also you think its to late to put in a larger conteiner? i have them in 5 gallon pots
here is a picture i took before pruning:
photo7.jpg

Not too late, I put mine in half-barrel (~30 gallon) containers. Fox farms 5-5-5 is usually ok for most applications, just be sure to closely follow the instructions because it's very possible, especially in warm weather, to kill your plants with fertilizer. Granted, 5-5-5 isn't very high concentration but still possible. Hops are way more resilient than you'd think, they will get really out of hand if given the chance even if you didn't think they were doing well e.g. throwing shoots into your lawn etc.

I moved mine from 5 gallon buckets a couple days ago into to a bigger 30 gallon tub. The reason I moved them was because I was getting shoots through the bottom of my buckets where I drilled holes. If you do move them, do it very, slowly when you tip you 5 gallon bucket to get your plants out. I was as careful as I possibly could be and still broke some roots. They still have a fine rootstock, but they are first year rhizomes and they don't look like they've hardened up being in the bucket despite being outside for the past 2 months. I haven't noticed any issues, so the minor root breakage didn't harm them at all, but if I wasn't careful it may have been a different story.

Back