Hop extraction temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuber

Reaction score
I had an issue cooling down my porter a month back or so, where it took overnight to cool it down before I had it at pitching temp.

I threw in some hops at flameout and the temp did get down to about 110 pretty quickly and then halted.

When I tasted the hydrometer sample before bottling it seemed awfully hoppy. My intention was only about 25 IBU or so with the aroma and flavoring coming from the hops at flameout (not bittering).

Did having the wort at 110 degrees for a few hours cause the acids be extracted from the hops and result in added bitterness/IBUs, or would that not be the cause of the bitterness?

The longer a hop boils the more bitterness (IBU's) it will add to a beer (relative to the hops AA%), however most of the hop oils that this hop adds to the beer will evaporate in the boil. So IBU's don't necessarily determine if a beer has a hoppy flavor/aroma. On the flip side, hops added late in the boil, or after the boil, will not have their oils evaporated off and thus provide aroma and flavor though not much bitterness (again, relative to AA%), possibly none at all (post boil additions). I don't think having your beer take a long cool session changed the aroma/flavor your late hop additions added.

I often do flame out and whirlpool hopping of PA/IPA beers but typically only whirlpool for 30 minutes then filter/chill and into the carboy so unsure what leaving them overnight would do. My non-hop forward beers don't get flame out/whirlpool hopped as I don't want the extra hop flavor/aroma.

Hop oils continue to isomerize (add bitterness) until the wort cools below about 180F. Without active cooling, this can take quite a while.

Latest posts

Back