Hop burn eliminated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoGP1000

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been on here a million times to talk about hops burn in my New England IPAs and I never could really figure out why it persists. But I just had some homebrew leftover that I found in my refrigerator in a growler that had been sitting for around three weeks and the hop burn was gone and all the hop juice was still there

What gives? Lol 🙃

My guess would be that some hop polyphenols settled out, probably by binding with proteins.

The distance particles have to settle in a growler is about 8". The distance in a keg is 3x that so it takes 3x longer. Not only that, but when you poured from the growler, it was from the top where the sediment already dropped out of. In a keg, until EVERYTHING settles, you're always pouring from the most concentrated accumulation.

You could always move all your dryhoping post fermentation after dropping the yeast and then dryhop at around 58-60. Then you’ll have minimal or no hop burn to begin with.

Once you have it though, only conditioning time will help

Latest posts

Back