Hop basket micron size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
This weekend I made a NEIPA using 7 ounces of hops between FWH, FO and WP. Using a 300 micron 6"x14" hop basket, I stationed the basket in front of the WP outlet. I noted early on the hops just seemed like they were sitting there w/o much movement in the basket. I moved the basket up and down with little or no draining. I moved the basket into the center of the kettle basically trying everything I could. Seems 7oz of pellet hops may be too much for the 300 micron basket. Draining took forever and still had a cup or two of undrained hop trub in the basket.

For my next NEIPA I need to make changes. Is 400 micron a better choice? (one HBT member says 400 works for him) Is 8" diameter a better choice? How would a Wilser hop bag clipped to the kettle side work? I hope to get this solved so I don't sit there on brew day experimenting. Thanks!

I found a cheap 300 micron SS hop screen online that I thought I'd try out. I used it last weekend with just 2oz of hops and experienced your same issue. VERY slow draining, didn't notice much movement at all inside the basket during whirlpool. Looks like a 400 screen might work better.

I think with a 400 screen you will see an increase of "flow" into and out of the basket, of course the downside is that hop trub comes thru as well. If you are doing a WP anyway, the 400 micron basket would be good, then remove and do a WP to create a hop/trub cone. I'd roughly figure a 400 screen will contain 60-70% of the hop trub. Better than nothing but you'll get higher hop utilization.

I am wondering "speculating" that by forcing whirlpool wort into that basket, is this whirl pool force clogging the screen by forcing trub into the pores and causing a clog? Thinking out loud?

I think with a 400 screen you will see an increase of "flow" into and out of the basket, of course the downside is that hop trub comes thru as well. If you are doing a WP anyway, the 400 micron basket would be good, then remove and do a WP to create a hop/trub cone. I'd roughly figure a 400 screen will contain 60-70% of the hop trub. Better than nothing but you'll get higher hop utilization.

Yeah, going to try a 400 and see if that works better.

I am wondering "speculating" that by forcing whirlpool wort into that basket, is this whirl pool force clogging the screen by forcing trub into the pores and causing a clog? Thinking out loud?

Hummmm, you may have a good point. Thought I was doing the right thing but maybe not. Maybe someone else that may have tried this technique can weigh in for an opinion.

I use 400 micron, drains fairly easy, and at least 70% hop trub stays put.

I use 400 micron, drains fairly easy, and at least 70% hop trub stays put.

One of the other poster's said they figured up to 70% trub containment with the 400um. I'd call that a win! Some of my reading I have been doing to solve said the hop basket diameter should ideally be 1/2 of the kettle diameter. Maybe my 6" basket was a bit too small and an 8" diameter would be best.

Latest posts

Back