Hop at boil 0 minutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber37

Reaction score
Hey guys. Bit new here and first time i have come across this. I am used to instructions like 60 minutes boil, 45, 15 etc for hops. But this recipe says at the 0 minute mark add 1 oz of cascade. Does this mean dry hop? As in add it to the fermentor? Or do i add it once the boil is done and it is just there for the cooling off period?

Thanks.

Alot of times if the recipe says 0 min boil (and if its a commercial clone), those hops spend 20 min or so in the whirlpool, still providing flavors and aromatics. So if your beer could use a little more from that 0 min addition, try killing the flame, add the hops, and whirlpool for 15 min.

Alot of times if the recipe says 0 min boil (and if its a commercial clone), those hops spend 20 min or so in the whirlpool, still providing flavors and aromatics. So if your beer could use a little more from that 0 min addition, try killing the flame, add the hops, and whirlpool for 15 min.

^This^

0 minute additions are basically whirlpool hops. If you use an immersion chiller, you'll get more aroma and flavor extraction than bittering (since you'll go below 180 faster than otherwise), but with a counterflow or plate chiller, you basically let them steep for about 15-20 minutes and then chill. I typically do a really vigorous stir with my stainless paddle and let them sit 15 minutes for the trub and break matter to settle towards the center and then run the wort through the plate chiller into the fermenter. You will actually get some bitterness and a good amount of flavor out of this method (it's similar to what the pros do except they'll get more bittering since the exposure time is higher due to the volume of wort giving a higher contact time at temperature).

That being said, You'll still get a decent amount of bitterness and it's the method Ted Hausotter (Hop Heaven, aka the eBay hop guy) uses for his hop presentations. When he's giving a presentation, he'll send someone in the local region a basic pale ale recipe and hops which are all flameout and dry-hop additions.

Back