Hop Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AventinusCam

Reaction score
I am putting together a recipe for a spring camping trip I am attending, and the masses want me to brew an IPA. For my malt base I was planning on using the Deaf Turtle/Blind Pig clone that I saw, but wanted to give it my own flair. My hop schedule was going to be 1.75oz of Chinook at the 90 and then .5 more at the 30. After that I was planning on adding either Nelson Sauvin or Sorachi Ace at the 15 and 0. Any advice on using Nelsons or Sorachis? I have yet to brew with them.

Well, with 2 oz of chinook for bittering, that might be really bitter, depending on the OG of the beer. I'd consider reducing that because I like firm bitterness but not "peel the taste buds off of the tongue" bitterness.

Sorachi Ace is very "lemony". It's really good, but distinctly lemon. Nelson sauvin is distinctly fruity. I think the combo sounds good, but I've never thought to put them together!

If I was doing this, I"d go with something like:

1 oz sorachi ace 15 minutes
1 oz nelson sauvin 5 minutes
.5 oz of both at flame out

Then, consider dryhopping with either or both, depending if you want more lemon or more "berry" flavors.

Good point, and thanks for the response. I will definitely dial back the Chinooks and am thinking about doing both Nelsons and Sorachis. Thanks for the help!

Back