hop adjustments w/ poor efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do you guys measure your efficiency after the mash and adjust your hopping levels or just take what you get and add the hops. Seems to me, if effficiency is poor enough then you're gonna get a really hoppy beer.
Thanks Charlie "getting closer to AG"

I don't make changes. Any reasonable efficiency would leave the IBU within the style range. Don't confuse bitterness with hoppiness. The IBU would go up as efficiency goes down, but flavor & aroma would not change.

I've wondered this too. I always assume I'll achieve a certain % on efficiency. I plan my IBUs to be in line with that. If I come up short I worry the beer will be too bitter, or too sweet if my efficiency is higher...

Yes, I do measure my efficiency right after the mash and adjust my bittering additions if I miss significantly one way or the other. That's one thing I love about brewing software. It's very easy to make adjustments on the fly.

I may adjust my flavor and aroma additions, too, if I think I need it, but that's more a matter of using the Force than brewing software.

TL

I check my preboil gravity and if I'm low I add some extra light DME so my target gravity will be what I want for my recipe. If my gravity is a little high I adjust my hopping to maintain the IBU:GU ratio I wanted originally.

GT

Back