Hop addition help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandan

Reaction score
Looking more hop aroma and flavor and considering the following for an AG-IPA- my second attempt, the 1st is quite tasty. Can anyone spot any potential problems here. Have not tried FWH or whole hops before:

1oz Cascade (whole) FWH
1oz Columbus (pellet) 60 min
1oz Centennial (pellet) 15 min
1oz Amarillo (pellet) 1 min
1oz Cascade (whole) Dry
1oz Amarillo (pellet) Dry

Assuming a 5 gallon batch, BeerSmith says it'll be 133.9 IBU.

Are you looking for a traditional IPA, or an Imperial? If you're going traditional, I'd cut the Cascade FWH, Columbus 60 and Centennial 15 down to 0.5 oz. each. If you're going Imperial, I'd MAYBE cut the Columbus to 0.5 0z., and just make sure you've got the malt backbone to match it.

Thanks. I think I'll skip the FWH, and maybe go 0.5 on the Columbus (14.3 AA). It is a 5.5 gal batch. 14 lbs malt. SWMBO loves the 1st batch, almost all late hopped w/Centennial & Cascade. I wanted to work some Amarillo into this batch to see if it eases up on the "grapefruit" aroma some.

I think Amarillo would ADD to the whole grapefruit thing. One of my faves is Three Floyds Gumballhead and it's full of grapefruit aroma. Nothing but Amarillo. I've never thought Cascade and Centennial had much of that. Citrus, yes. Grapefruit, no.

Anyway, sounds like you've got a nice big IPA in the works. If I was down by the bend in the river, I'd stop by and mooch one.

I think Amarillo would ADD to the whole grapefruit thing. One of my faves is Three Floyds Gumballhead and it's full of grapefruit aroma. Nothing but Amarillo. I've never thought Cascade and Centennial had much of that. Citrus, yes. Grapefruit, no.

Anyway, sounds like you've got a nice big IPA in the works. If I was down by the bend in the river, I'd stop by and mooch one.

I agree- amarillo has "grapefruit juice" written all over it. I love it, but it you're looking for less you may not like it.

Any time you are down by that bend in the "Petaluma River", Homer. It will be a good one.

Brewed yesterday. Perhaps I'll sub Centennial for Amarillo in the dry hop. The 1st batch was dry hopped with Cascade and Columbus. Very nice. Probably shouldn't change what isn't broke.

Cool thanks....so its safe to assuem that once my mash is done and pumping into my BK, hops can be added?

What types of beers do you do this with?

Thanks

I would think you could do this with just about any hop-forward beer. I've done it with an IPA, as well as a hoppy wheat I did.

Back