Hop addition adjustments question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larso

Reaction score
I've been brewing for bout a year now and when I adjust hop additions to allow for my hop AAs differing from the recipes I use, I have been adjusting all my additions? does this make sense for flavour and aroma additions? Do these hop characteristics vary linearly with AAs? Or should I adjust bitterness only by adjusting my 60/90min additions and stick to recipe weight for flavour and aroma despite AA value?

Thx

L

I've made a few good brews and several screwed up ones for a variety of reasons and I'm just trying to figure out if this might be one of my flaws, but if I'm doin what everyone else does then I can eliminate this!

I doubt this would have screwed up any of your beers. I often adjust all my hops for the AA% I bought for that batch... but sometimes forget. I'm not sure if I could tell the difference between a few IBU here and there on most beers. :)

Thanks LC, one of said brews is a hobgoblin clone, I worked out the grainbills from the brew strong interview with the brewer and used the hop bill that they recommended . I think they used bout 70g(no mention of AA as I remember) hops at flameout. Mines way too bitter, been recently relegated to the garden shed where hopefully I'll forget it and rediscover it many months later and it'll be beautiful(but I'm not holding my breath). It's been made since January.

Back