Honeywell vs Auber PID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any differences between the two that would help/prevent me from choosing a honeywell?
What are you trying to do? (Electric Brewing forum after all) If you are trying to control your HLT and or BOIL vessel, I strongly suggest that you use an Auber PID. If you just want to control a refrigerator or freezer the Honeywell would suite you well.

IMHO.

Thanks PJ! That's all the info I needed. And yes, I was planning on using a PID for e-keggles so your guess was correct. I trust your opinion, but out of curiosity, why the Auber?

Thanks PJ! That's all the info I needed. And yes, I was planning on using a PID for e-keggles so your guess was correct. I trust your opinion, but out of curiosity, why the Auber?
The Auber Instruments PID SYL-2352 or their SYL-2362 are both well suited for brewing. One important feature that each of these has is manual control. This is where you can set the % of power being delivered to the heating element. Consider this: Water boils at a nominal 212° F. A simmer is 212°. A raging boil is 212°. Now, with that said, how do you control the boil rate if the PID does not have the feature. Answer? You cannot unless you build another controller to manage the boil for you.

I've rarely seen this feature on any other PID.

Another plus? IMHO Auber Instruments is an outstanding vendor. (NOT affiliated.)

Just my humble opinion. Please consider it.
Oh: and of the 2 - I'd recommend the SYL-2352. It has features that nothing else can come close to that will help in your brewing adventures.

P-J

What about the auber pid with ramp? Auberin PID SYL-2352P

I brew some beers that have a mash schedule that requires me to slowly increase the mash temp from 122ish to mash out of 170. From the description this would seem to make that a more automated process, even though it's almost double the price!
Good catch. there is nothing wrong with it. Your idea is another good example of the reasons to go with Auber Instruments PIDs. That particular PID would be a great device to control step mashing in a more automated way.

Thanks for that.

P-J

What about the auber pid with ramp? http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4

I brew some beers that have a mash schedule that requires me to slowly increase the mash temp from 122ish to mash out of 170. From the description this would seem to make that a more automated process, even though it's almost double the price!

I considered that one until I noticed this "This controller has all the features of the standard PID controller (except the manual control mode)"

I considered that one until I noticed this "This controller has all the features of the standard PID controller (except the manual control mode)"

If this PID was setup just for the HLT wouldn't it still work? I am pretty new t this stuff, but my understanding was that the manual mode was just used for the boil kettle because leaving it on automatic for the boil caused far too vigorous of a boil. If you aren't oing full board, it shouldn't matter, right?

If this PID was setup just for the HLT wouldn't it still work? I am pretty new t this stuff, but my understanding was that the manual mode was just used for the boil kettle because leaving it on automatic for the boil caused far too vigorous of a boil. If you aren't oing full board, it shouldn't matter, right?

Yup, manual mode is strictly for controlling boils. If you are using the PID for HLT or MLT (or a heat exchanger for MLT, like RIMS), then no need for manual mode that I can see.

Also, you can easily build your own "manual mode" with a DPDT switch and a PWM, (call it $10 for the switch and $10 for the PWM). Use the switch to flip the SSR control circuit from the PID to the PWM.

Back