Honey...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewski08

Reaction score
i'm curious as to how everyone gets honey tastes/smells to be present in their beers.

i've really been trying to get a strong honey presence in my last couple of batches but have always failed. i've tried adding 1.5-2 lbs of honey to the last 10 minutes of my boil, and i've been experimenting with honey malt as well (last batch comprised 8% of my grain bill).

i'm trying to get a similar honey profile as a Hopslam or Blue Moon.

i force carb in a keg. would adding 1-2 lbs of dissolved honey to my keg provide a strong honey presence. does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks!

i'm curious as to how everyone gets honey tastes/smells to be present in their beers.

i've really been trying to get a strong honey presence in my last couple of batches but have always failed. i've tried adding 1.5-2 lbs of honey to the last 10 minutes of my boil, and i've been experimenting with honey malt as well (last batch comprised 8% of my grain bill).

i'm trying to get a similar honey profile as a Hopslam or Blue Moon.

i force carb in a keg. would adding 1-2 lbs of dissolved honey to my keg provide a strong honey presence. does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks!

Two words: honey malt. That's how you'll get a strong honey taste in your beer. Oops, you already are experimenting with it. 8% of the grain bill and still not enough for you? Yeesh.

Honey taste in Blue Moon? Um...I don't know if I really detect a strong honey taste in Blue Moon. Coriander and orange, yes, but not honey.

Two words: honey malt. That's how you'll get a strong honey taste in your beer. Oops, you already are experimenting with it. 8% of the grain bill and still not enough for you? Yeesh.

Honey taste in Blue Moon? Um...I don't know if I really detect a strong honey taste in Blue Moon. Coriander and orange, yes, but not honey.

should have specified: Blue Moon Honey Wheat.

guess i just must be a honey-head. thanks for the advice everyone!

honey in the boil will only make the beer dry and add to te ABV, but no realy taste

Here's my recipe for my Honey Wheat:

2.10 lbs Pilsener
5.9 lbs Wheat Malt
1.5 lbs Honey Malt
1.5 lbs Clover Honey (at flame out)

1.0 oz Cascade @ 60
0.5 oz Cascade @ 10
0.5 oz Cascade @ 0

WLP001 yeast using 0.5lbs DME in the starter.

Honey malt or bottle with honey...if you want a strong aroma/taste...do both. My Imperials are almost two months old and just with bottling it is still the upfront flavor and aroma...it is starting to mellow though.

I did a 5% honey malt and bottled with it and it is almost too strong for me and I really like honey. Also, dont use clover honey, I've found it to be the weakest in terms of its flavor coming through. I prefer orange blossom but I'm sure others will give you some great suggestions, there are far stronger honeys than orange blossom

Back