Honey wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JiggaJames

Reaction score
Use started my first batch of honey wine, might be a mead, a few weeks ago. It's pretty potent now and I need to slow down the fermentation. Any suggestions?
Thanks,

James

Why do you need to slow the fermentation?

And cold... droping the temp will slow the fermentation - put it in the fridge, if it is to large, use a swamp cooler -it is basically a larger bucket with cool water in it that you put your fermentor in. Add ice as needed to keep the temp down.

Yeah a honey wine is a mead.
Why exactly are you trying to slow down the fermentation? I know you can use Potassium Sorbate will prevent the yeast from multiplying but the ones that are still alive will continue to ferment until they die out.

But that will eventually stop fermentation, they just want to slow it down. I would just drop the temperature. That will do the trick.

Dicky

Use started my first batch of honey wine, might be a mead, a few weeks ago. It's pretty potent now and I need to slow down the fermentation. Any suggestions?
Thanks,

James

Why would you want to slow the fermentation? I'd leave it be & let the yeast do their job, they'll slow down & eventually stop all on their own.
Regards, GF.

But that will eventually stop fermentation, they just want to slow it down. I would just drop the temperature. That will do the trick.

Dicky

That is why I asked why they wanted to slow fermentation down. I figured they might have worded the question wrong and was giving them that approach. I explained that the ones still alive would ferment until they die but they wouldn't reproduce which meant stopping it eventually.

I started the mead with a friend, and his stopped bubbling a few days ago. Same recipe, but he put in some oranges. I was under the impression I need to wait for the bubbling to have around a 30 second gap to transfer to the glass carboy. Otherwise I'll transfer it tomorrow.
Thanks everyone..

there is no specific time table. I would transfer once it stops bubbling, but thats because i usually leave it in primary for a month. as long as you have an airlock and your not producing any krausen, you can move it to secondary whenever.

Also, mead questions are better answered in the mead forum.

Back