Honey wheat IPA with Sorachi Ace, what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yuval

Reaction score
For 20 liters:
3 kg extra light DME
1 kg wheat malt(needs mashing or steeping is enough? if so what temp and how long?)
0.5 kg honey(not sure what kind, maybe lavander)
I want to sanatize it just enough to do the job without damaging the flavor and aroma too much, maybe diluting it with a 1.5 liter water and cooking it on 80 degrees celsius for 1 hour, cooling it down and then mixing it with the cooled wort just before pitching the yeast.
Would it be better if i'll add it to the secondary? honey flavor wise.

Boiling the wort for 1 hour.
hop:
30 gr Sorachi Ace for 60 min.
30 gr Sorachi Ace for 30 min.
30 gr Sorachi Ace for 20 min.
30 gr Sorachi Ace for 7 min.

Primery for 1 week - around 20-22 degrees celsius
secondary for 2 weeks - the same.
Thinking about adding 500 ml tea, because of the honey and the lemony hops, I'm not so sure.

Bottle with 180 gr demarrara sugar for two weeks.

There is no specific og or fg I'm aiming for, just wondering what are your thought on the general recipe.

What do you think?

you can put the honey in at flameout......that way you won't lose any of the aroma or flavor........but it will "sanitize" and disolve in the hot wort.......can do the samething with LME.......

recipe sounds interesting......good luck

Slightly off topic, but honey at flame-out should be perfectly fine. Isn't honey naturally bacterial resistant due to its ultra low water content?

Slightly off topic, but honey at flame-out should be perfectly fine. Isn't honey naturally bacterial resistant due to its ultra low water content?

I am not sure about this, but i was slightly puzzled by wanting it "sanitized", but then again, I have never thought of it b/c i would never put it in the secondary. I have always put it in at flameout to help disolve it........but the joys of homebrewing are you can do what makes ya happy :D

Honey is naturally bacterial resistant but it can contain dormant botulism endospores. An adult's digestive system should be able to take care of these spores so the concern here is minimal if any, but adding it around flameout isn't a bad way to make sure it's a little more sanitary and dissolved.

And back to the main topic, how did the beer turn out!?!

well, recipe changed a bit, 4.5 kg light LME, 1.5 kg wheat DME, 0.75 kg honey.
Hops: 30 grams of sorachi for 60 min.
30 for 25 min.
30 for 10 min.
Yeast: T-58.
For 25L batch, quite a big beer, a little more then 8% abv.
now in the seconday, i think after a month i'll bottle it.

Back