Honey Nut Brown Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartman

Reaction score
Never used honey but I want to.
I ordered this recipe from BMW so the grain bill can not be changed but the honey amount and hops can be.
How does this look???

Recipe: Honey Nut Brown
Brewer: Bart
Asst Brewer:
Style: Northern English Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 21.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 31.37 %
4.00 lb Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 31.37 %
1.00 lb Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.84 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (Briess) (1.4 SRM) Grain 7.84 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.92 %
0.25 lb Chocolate (Crisp) (630.0 SRM) Grain 1.96 %
1.00 oz Perle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 25.9 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
2.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 15.69 %

Mash Temp 154F
Boil time 60 min

Please please please don't add 2 pounds of honey, it's going to taste like wine and won't be drinkable for a very long time. Go with 1 pound absolute maximum.

Will I taste the honey or will it just dry it up some. Also will the honey increase the fermentation time?

I can't comment on the recipe as I'm not an extract brewer, but I have done a nut brown extract that I added Honey to.

I added 3.5 lbs to a 6 gallon brew and it tasted great, didn't dry it out much at all and it certainly doesn't taste like wine.

The honey compliments the earthiness, rounds it out nicely and leaves only a hint of honey aftertaste.

I added mine in two steps, 2 lbs the first week and 1.5 lbs the second. It didn't slow the ferment at all, but I did let it settle for an additional week to clear.

Most of the issues with honey slowing down fermentation are in meads where lack of nutrients are a problem and you leave the mead fermenting longer to let it condition.

Honey will bump up the original gravity and dry out the brew, depending upon how much you add. 2# won't dry it out much with how much other fermentables are making up the batch. You could always mash on the higher end (around 152) to promote more maltiness to make up for this potential dryness the honey will add. It won't taste like wine, in my opinion.

I intend to mash at 154 for that reason. I didn't think it would taste like wine, but thought it might dry out too much.

I don't think you'll taste much of the honey unless you use a very flavorful honey type, like buckwheat or basswood. IMHO honey malt does a much better job of this in beer.

I think I will forget the honey, lower the mash temp to 152 and call it a nut brown ale.
I will save a few bucks on the honey too!!!

I can't comment on the recipe as I'm not an extract brewer, but I have done a nut brown extract that I added Honey to.

I added 3.5 lbs to a 6 gallon brew and it tasted great, didn't dry it out much at all and it certainly doesn't taste like wine.

The honey compliments the earthiness, rounds it out nicely and leaves only a hint of honey aftertaste.

I added mine in two steps, 2 lbs the first week and 1.5 lbs the second. It didn't slow the ferment at all, but I did let it settle for an additional week to clear.

Most of the issues with honey slowing down fermentation are in meads where lack of nutrients are a problem and you leave the mead fermenting longer to let it condition.

Is that you John Madden???

Back