Honey nut brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SW33K

Reaction score
Brewed this up last weekend. Tell me what you think. It was my first all grain recipe. My buddy does a lot of the recipe writing.

9 lbs marris otter
2 lbs honey malt
.5 lbs crystal 40l
.5 lbs chocolate malt

1 oz northern brewer 10.%6aa 90 min*
1 oz fuggles 4%aa 20 min
1 oz east Kent goldings 5.4%aa 10 min

1 lb organic light brown sugar 10 min

1 whirlfloc tablet 10 min

Wlp005-British ale yeast

Mash at 154 for 90 min
Boil at 180 for 90 min

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks.

My only concerns are the amount of honey malt you used (should be kept to no more than 10% of the grist, you're at almost 17%) and the IBU's. The honey malt will probably dominate the flavors of the brew, snuffing out most of the rest.

I've used a single pound of honey malt, at around 8% of the grist with great results. Some of my brews have had only .5# and they had the subtle hit I wanted. But, seems like you want this to smack people in the face with the honey flavor. If that is your intention, then I think you'll nail it.

I would ask why the addition of the brown sugar... With the amount of honey malt used, I don't think it's necessary... If you had mashed a little lower, like 151-152, you would have the same FG... If you wanted higher ABV, then I would have used more base malt too. Adding two more pounds would have gotten you there too.

Either way, you will have to post up once it's in the glass... I would just make sure you give it enough time to become really good/great. Don't rush it through.

BTW, welcome to the boards... Also welcome to the wonderful world of all grain brewing... :rockin:

Yea I was a bit weary on the honey too. That was my buddies suggestion and I ran with it. It was originally 1 lb. I was hoping to add a little more caramelization with the brown sugar to hopefully round out some of the honey kick. Can't wait to try it though. Patience patience though.

Honey malt is different than actual honey... You actually get a LOT of honey flavor from honey malt, with a modest contribution to the gravity. It won't dry the brew out like actual honey can/would.

I would leave it on the yeast for at least a month, then test/sample and decide. If it doesn't taste done, then give it some more time in primary. You could also think about adding some oak cubes to the brew. I've used medium toast with excellent results. Especially in my Wee Honey (a wee heavy with honey malt)... I used all of 1.5oz of cubes that had boiling water poured to cover, then cooled, before pitching the entire thing in. I like what cubes give a brew far more than chips. Chips, IMO are a lot harsher than cubes. Chips can also change in a short amount of time, from oak goodness to vanilla. If you decide to give that a try, I would start with a small amount of cubes, adding more after 3-4 weeks, IF you think you need more.

Transferred this to secondary on Saturday. Couldn't have asked for a better looking beer. Came out beautiful. Definitely post pics after it's done conditioning nag legged up. First tasting was a little sweet but surprisingly well rounded. I never got that punch in the face I was expecting from the honey malt. Can't wait to drink this one!!!

Back