Honey Nut Beerio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PivoGuy

Reaction score
This is a recipe I put together after hearing about honey nut beerio. Basically I looked at the cereal's ingredient list for inspiration. I want it to be a full bodied, sweetish, nutty beer that has the honey taste with a hint of almond. This is my first attempt at a non traditional brew. Any critiques will be greatly appreciated. Also has anyone used almont extract in their beer? How much did you use and how did it come out?

Grain
Canadian Honey Malt (Gambrinus) 0.75 lb
UK Flaked Oats 0.50 lb
US Victory Malt 0.50 lb
US Chocolate Malt 0.25 lb
Extract - Amber Liquid Malt Extract 5.00 lb

Hops
Alpha Amount IBU
UK Golding 5.5 % 0.75 oz Bagged Pellet Hops 60 Min

Others
3 Teaspoons almond extract at bottling

Yeast
No idea yet... any suggestions?

OG 1.046
FG 1.010
ABV 4.7%
IBU 11

That's a pretty neat idea. I have never considered almond extract before. I'd suggest trying a drop or so in a glass of a beer of similar style before you commit to a whole batch. I think I'll try some in a brown ale tonight myself. I was going to suggest cutting the honey malt a little, but with the amber extract, I think 3/4 # is probably about right. A little of the honey goes a long way though. For yeast, you probably want something fairly clean. I'd personally go with WLP002 - English Ale if you are looking for an English Brown Ale style or maybe just WLP001 if you want stick to the American Brown Ale Style. The WLP001 tends to accentuate hops a little better, but you don't any high AA varieties there.

Please update the thread once you have a completed product. I'm interested to see how it turned out.

Sounds neat.

Be careful with that extract. I added 4oz of Macadamia nut extract to a beer. Turns out that 4oz is WAY too much.

Cool idea. At first I thought you'd be talking about beerios. You kn ow Cheerios with beer, but this is way cooler.

For the yeast use something like WLP001 or US-05 for the yeast. No use in having the yeast get in the way of the malt flavors. I don't think you get any honey flavor from the honey malt unless you mash. Might need to make this into a mini-mash recipe.

Latest posts

Back