Honey Mustard Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkman20

Reaction score
I know it sounds odd, but I was thinking of classic things that go well with honey and I saw a jar of honey mustard in the fridge and thought, what about a honey mustard mead? I blew off the idea at first since it's probably the last thing I'd think to put in a mead, but then I got to thinking honey mustard tastes good and the flavors go well with each other, so what if I added a bunch of mustard seed to a mead? I'm seriously thinking of making a 1 gallon batch of this this weekend or next when I have some time. The only thing I'm going to need to figure out is how much mustard seed to add, since I'm not sure how much the flavor will come through and I wouldn't want it to overpower the mead altogether. Has anyone ever tried this before? Am I crazy for even thinking of it?

This sounds absolutely absurd, far fetched, and crazy. You should do it, and keep us posted! Could turn out amazing, and worse case scenario I'd imagine it would make for an interesting marinade for poultry or maybe even fish.

This sounds absolutely absurd, far fetched, and crazy. You should do it, and keep us posted! Could turn out amazing, and worse case scenario I'd imagine it would make for an interesting marinade for poultry or maybe even fish.

I concur. Its crazy, and sounds disgusting but I would still try it. Sam Calgione tries weird crap all the time and he has a TV show.

**EDIT** "had" TV show

I think regardless of how it turns out, it will definitely be interesting in the end.

If nothing else, I'll have something to dip corndogs in. lol

I just went in to the fridge and drank half a jar of honey mustered.... Not the best.... But please go for it .

Being series I would also look up what other spices they use in it and really go all out.

Oooooo. This is right up my alley. I have consistently added odd things to meads since I started messing with my husband's brews. He would often raise an eyebrow and let me go at it. i haven't gone wrong yet. I have made a fabulous mead with saffron, sage, rosemary and thyme.

You could make it a braggot and / or add some rosemary. I think it could taste divine. The mad scientist in me is going a little madder! You may have to crush the seeds to get the flavor out though. I want to try playing with this.

Tomico

Man, you guys are bonkers! I like honey mustard...but would you really want to drink alcohol with such a pungent savory flavour present?

Hmm, sounds interesting. I just read this post . No results on this post.. but...
Apparently, most of the spiciness and flavor of the mustard is a result of a chemical reaction which occurs when the seeds are soaked in a cool liquid for some amount of time (15 min to several hours).
Anyways, they also suggested adding chili and coriander to the mustard beer. You probably don't want to start going wild with the spices for now though lol, keep it simple. I think this honey mustard thing is wild enough. :p

Hmm, sounds interesting. I just read this post . No results on this post.. but...
Anyways, they also suggested adding chili and coriander to the mustard beer. You probably don't want to start going wild with the spices for now though lol, keep it simple. I think this honey mustard thing is wild enough. :p

Well knowing that, it sounds like it might be good to add to secondary, or perhaps even presoak in chilled sanitized water for a day prior to adding crushed?

I think I'm going to have to learn the basics of how to make mustard before I attempt this. lol

Back