Honey measure guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSD

Reaction score
I'm new to mead making. I have a five gallon bucket of honey. The recipe I'm making calls for three pounds. Whats the easy way to measure out three pounds? I don't have a scale.

Easiest IS with a scale.

Volume measuring honey is not accurate. Most of the time, one gallon of honey weighs twelve pounds. But that can be different between harvests and types of honey. I would get a decent digital scale, even one from Walmsrt, BJs, or BB&B to weigh things. You'll get a lot of good use out of it. You should be able to get a decent one for under $20.

Golddiggie is correct in that you should probably invest in a scale if you want to be truly accurate. That being said, two pints (four measured cups) of honey will be really close to three pounds. Personally, I don't worry about super precise weights of honey in mead.

Open container, you were pretty much on the money. Thanks

Huesmann, nobody likes a smart ass. Thanks anyway. As you can see from my own post above, I got it figured out.

Back